Model Train Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Still my favorite after years of collecting would be my Challengers Models Great Northern class M2 2-6-8-0.
From the first time I found a picture of one wanted this articulated oddball:D
Turned out to not only be my favorite but the most expensive locomotive I ever bought !!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Morrjr,

Being from NJ originally I do have a soft spot for the camelbacks.

Shay,

Glad you were able to save that Model-power re-release, you did a
great job.

GN 2-6-8-0,

Money well spent.

Pookybear

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Still my favorite after years of collecting would be my Challengers Models Great Northern class M2 2-6-8-0.
Turned out to not only be my favorite but the most expensive locomotive I ever bought !!

Very very nice!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Well, it will soon be the Christmas season again and time to setup that big Santa style layout I've been wanting to do for years. Who knows, maybe I'll actually get time to do it this year? If I do, it will feature my favorite train. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the great comments:appl:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Civil war trains

I really like civil war sets. There is a really neat set that I like, which comes in both Confederate and Federal style. I also like streamlined-looking diesels.:)

·
Registered
480 Posts

Lol i knew that

·
Registered
7 Posts
My favorite train is the Lionel train set my parents got me for my birthday . My mother saved up S&H green stamps ( i don't know how many books it took) that she got when she bought groceries. I still have the entire set in the box . I am 67 years old. It runs great. I set it up around the Christmas tree every year.

·
Registered
150 Posts
There are three on my wish list, two of which are going o be close to impossible to do. I grew up in Philadelphia and rode the trolleys, buses, trackless trolleys, and subways a lot for public transportation. I would love to model the trolleys and subways from back in the early to mid 60s, when it was PTC instead of Septa. The trolleys and buses used a cream colored top, a green bottom, and a red stripe in the cream just above the green. While the subways were most polished aluminum, I also remember the older ones - probably from the 50's but still in use - that had a maroon paint scheme. Bachmann does have the PTC trolley in HO, and I might end up ordering it just for a small display. If I could find the subway cars I would definitely end up with that spare layout (they ran the same cars on the elevated line so I could build a portion of the city that way - modeling underground cars does seem really interesting).

The third one, and I am considering this, is Amtrak from Phase I or Phase II paint eras. I used to take Amtrak to college in Kansas and home from the Army, but I also took it from Philly to Trenton to see my first girlfriend before I got a driver's license.

·
Registered
605 Posts
An old but interesting thread. My favorite has to be the Tyco General. It has fantastic history (the Great Locomotive Chase), its own movie (starring Charlie Chaplin), it still exists and the 4-4-0 American was the most common locomotive in the 19th century. What's more it was the first engine I built when I started model railroading as a teen and the first I built when I returned to model railroading. I also converted one to another locomotive, and am considering buying another to backdate to its Civil War appearance (The one in a museum is as updated in the 1870's). Anyway here are the two I have right now, the General as it is now and the General Grant conversion:

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Despite the huge fleet of locomotives I have across the empire, I think I would have to point to my team of tunnel motors.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My soft spot would have to be the family lionel of my youth. The 6-8-6 turbine. Long gone due to a house fire in the late 60's.
Got into H0 gauge inthe early 70's and have remained there.
One of the first locos was/is a very heavy Bachmann F7/9? Sante Fe war bonnet. I still have it. 2pce cast frame, rp25 8 wheel pickup and drive. Pulls like a bull. Definately a favorite.
After that, Bershires, Mikados, and Pacifics. My PRR tuscan GG1.
The rest of the 45 or so? I love them all for the stories theyve left in my memory.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts