Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This time of year, I run trains in the morning before it gets too hot in the attic. Today it was my Reading GP9 (a Reading shell on a newer PS3 chassis). GRJ rewired this one after the shell swap so it started up with short hood forward. I also dusted off my trusty 2010 vintage Railking K4s and matching Madison cars. This loco has 1370 scale miles on it. From the old to the new, I got the LV RS-11 in April. Lastly a B&O F7 AB. GRJ also had his hands on this one to fix a balky switch and install a sound file that didn’t have obnoxious blower whine.

So, what are you running?

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
My small N layout is in my basement, so I don't worry about the heat, I haven't done anything with the layout in over a year, no scenery or even running of any kind...just lost interest. Yesterday I went down and dug out one of my Kato D&RG PA-1s and started running it. First thing I had to do was clean the track! Then I discovered several places where the loco would derail, so I worked on the track. After a couple hours I have it running pretty well, but there are still a couple spots where the track needs a tweak or two. Felt good to be back at the throttle!

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,714 Posts
Supposed to get hot and steamy Bob, I feel for you.
Get one of those portable ac units?
I am in the basement but have been doing other things, trains are waiting for me.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Supposed to get hot and steamy Bob, I feel for you.
Get one of those portable ac units?
I am in the basement but have been doing other things, trains are waiting for me.
I looked at a few Freidrich portable ACs, but portable ACs are not very efficient. And installing the hose(s) through the attic roof would be a giant PITA. Instead, I put a window unit in the staging area a few days ago. I ordered a Broan 380 CFM room to room fan unit and I’ll rig that up to blow air from the staging area to the attic. Probably won’t do the trick on super hot days, but it should be good when it’s less than 90 outside.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I think it would take a huge unit, amount of energy to keep an attic cool with the summer sun beating down on a roof. They do make insulation devices for attic ceilings. They use plain ol' pink insulation but, IIRC, these plastic panels allow proper moisture control / ventilation of the insulation..

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Uh, all of them.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think it would take a huge unit, amount of energy to keep an attic cool with the summer sun beating down on a roof. They do make insulation devices for attic ceilings. They use plain ol' pink insulation but, IIRC, these plastic panels allow proper moisture control / ventilation of the insulation..
It's insulated, but still gets stupid hot if the gable fan isn't on. It was 110 degrees F a few days ago. In the winter, a 1500W space heater will do the trick on all but the coldest days. Time will tell if the window AC and fan make it livable in summer.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have not been able to run/work on any of my trains since May. Been busy working on several vehicles due for their state safety inspections for license renewal. 2019 taxes were worked on. Yard work & Garden soil prep & planting was performed. Busy summer for sure but I still found time to acquire some new to me prime movers. Now the heat is becoming intolerable. I must perform outside chores before noon before it gets to hot. Very nice looking rolling stock in them pics there Lehigh74.

LATER

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,714 Posts
I looked at a few Freidrich portable ACs, but portable ACs are not very efficient. And installing the hose(s) through the attic roof would be a giant PITA. Instead, I put a window unit in the staging area a few days ago. I ordered a Broan 380 CFM room to room fan unit and I’ll rig that up to blow air from the staging area to the attic. Probably won’t do the trick on super hot days, but it should be good when it’s less than 90 outside.
I didn't know you had a window.

Reactions: jackseamon56

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
House is a split level. The window AC is in the third floor staging area. There is a hole in the wall to connect the track in the staging area to the attic layout. I’ll suck air through that hole to cool the attic.

But doesn’t anyone have pics of trains they are running?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
House is a split level. The window AC is in the third floor staging area. There is a hole in the wall to connect the track in the staging area to the attic layout. I’ll suck air through that hole to cool the attic.

Where is the air return?

·
Registered
3,233 Posts

Sure...

Reactions: Chaostrain

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally got around to completing battery replacements in my PS2 locos. Put some BCRs in 5V locos and SBRs in 3V locos. Ran the P5a modified and RK Decapod with the 5V boards. Also ran the B&O C-Liner.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts