Model Train Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Decided to run my PS3ed Williams GG1s. The Tuscan 5 stripe is pulling a 5 car Madison set plus a 2 car add set on from 2003. The Blackjack is pulling a 5 car set from 2014 plus an R50B express reefer. For a few weeks, I’ve been looking for some MTH 18” streamlined cars to go with these motors. I haven’t found anything I with detailed interiors yet at a price I was willing to pay, but I’m sure something will turn up.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Nice consists. The heavyweight Penn colors are classics.

I have 7 Williams Crown Edition Aluminum passenger cars in SP Daylight. A matching Williams F7 ABA w/PS1 upgrade and a Williams GS4 in daylight to pull them.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
A train of snowbirds. Seems like the two C628s should be pulling more cars. I ordered a cylindrical hopper yesterday and I’ll be looking for more when I can go to train meets again. I thought that the outdoor Kutztown meet on 3/27 would be too cold, but I might go after all.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
My cousin from Minnesota was in town last week. Her dad worked for PRR in Philly and she is crazy about GG1s having seen them many times as a kid. So, I ran a military train and a passenger train pulled by motors for her. Today I switched the power back to steam.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Nice assortment there, Bob! The black B&O Pacific is a hard one to find these days it seems.

Who made the GG1s? I am working on a military train of M4 Shermans being shipped from the factory. Just gathering Corgi Shermans and a few flat cars I need…

Tom

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The B&O steamer is a Mikado (MTH 20-3075-1). I got it from Pat’s Trains a few years ago (NOS complete with a Pat’s homebrew BCR). The prototype for that cab number is at the Baltimore RR museum.

The GG1s are Williams upgraded to PS3 by John. I’ve posted them before in this thread, but since I was running them last week…

Most of the flat cars in my military train are Menards 14” cars. They work well once you adjust the gage. The only Sherman tanks I have are 1:48 Tamiya kits. They just fit on an old MTH Premier flat car. Where are you finding Corgi Sherman tanks in 1:48?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
No, they are 1:50 and they just fit two tanks on a 40’ flat car. I am collecting the tanks and repainting them into a basic olive drab, like they were when they came off the assembly line. This is a Lionel car with the tanks being test fit...

Here are two Lionel 40’ flats with all the wood chocks and timber’s in place. The tanks will be another project on their own. The wood will be darkened slightly with plank grooves scribed into the chocks…

Tom

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ran my new WWII army train today. I have assemble 11 Tamiya 1/48 scale early Sherman tanks, added some Menard's jeeps and ambulances.

·
Registered
9,606 Posts
Very cool pjdog1. I love trains with military loads. Tanks!!!

This is a great thread to reprise. Been a while. Today I am running aBluetooth-Legacy Lionmaster Big Boy pulling a train of all-diecast metal cars - ten freight and a caboose. It is a heavy train but one that runs so smoothly . . . but required a big heavy loco to pull it.
Shelf Retail Building Shopping Event

·
Registered
49 Posts
Very impressive Lee. I had a MTH Big Boy, Challenger, J, two K4’s & two Mikado’s. But had a brain fart and sold them. Wish I had not. Can’t afford to buy them back.

Do you have a video of the Big Boy in action. My three 2026 Postwar Lionel are hard pressed to pull the die cast load I have. Wheel spin getting going? But once they get them moving they are All right. It also helps to oil the wheels no the postwar Lionel flat cars.

You have allot of remotes

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yesterday and today I ran the same consist just changed the engines out from Postwar Lionel to modern (2016) Lionel LionChief plus Mikado & Hudson. Postwar Lionel seems to need 11 volts to work on my small layout. At 11 volts they are way to fast. But the Modern Lionel with the little remotes can crawl around the layout with no problems. I really enjoy the Mikado. It's a great puller a slow speed. I enjoy that allot more.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Very nice payout and consists.

Last night I watched a documentary on American industry's during WW II. The production of war machines (as in your consist) made possible by the auto & other industries' experience with mass production. By 1942, America was outproducing Germany by an order of magnitude. For example, over 360,000 Jeeps were produced during the war.

·
Registered
49 Posts
49,234 Sherman tanks where produced by 10 American company’s. Including 4 companies that where Locomotive companies. Like Alco, Baldwin, etc. % different engines. The best being made by Ford. The GAA which was a V8, 4 values per cylinder, twin carburetors, double overhead cam? It was reliable which in combat was real important.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I will normally go to the garage early in the morning to mess with my O Gauge trains. Generally around 6:30 AM after Taking care of my wife how has allot of health problems. Been trying to fix a MTH RailKing Hudson that's been giving me trouble. Every time I think I've got it fixed it will fail again. I gave up for today and put a Lionel LionChief plus Hudson in it's place. A little time to relax before facing life's trouble. My trains are therapy for me. Don't know how I could get through a day without my dog and trains.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
That's a nice O layout. I think your videos would look much better without the wide-angle lens distorting the frame.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thank goodness for high resolution photos, better than magazine photos. Well, just moved into new home on July 9. Still not completely settled in. I am not wasting time though. Electricians have been here and installed 8 can LED lights and additional outlet in my mechanical room which will serve as the work room. I put up 2 of my 4 LED shop lights in the mechanical room, built 2 of 5 shelving units. More this weekend.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thank you Lehigh74. I have 11 Sherman’s. One with the long barrel 76.8 MM. Fun to assemble and mount on a flat car. I like to run them early in the morning before anyone’s up. Coffee and trains in the morning. Michael Thinks I should set a different lens but I can’t tell the difference. My best friend said I should use the wide angle lens? It’s great therapy for these hard times. Guy was here working on the house. He would not leave the garage. Loved the trains. Guess his dad was a train person. Said he was going to see if any of dads trains where at dads house?

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's with heavy heart that I say I have had a M2 50 cal. machine gun stolen off my lead Sherman M4A3 tank. The train was parked at the coaling station waiting on another train coming from the east. When the clear to go was given to the military train I saw that the M2 was missing. I call the FBI this morning. The train is now stalled waiting on the inspector to do an investigation!

21 - 40 of 53 Posts