Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know some of you railees make your own decidious and pine trees. We all know if you start buying armatures, it adds up. Looking to see what kind of bush/tree twigs you have used for trunks/trees with nice branch spread and also able to hold clump foliage once its glued on. Does natural twigs and such last? Trying for about the 3 to 6 inch area in height. The wire twisting thing for trunks etc looks like a pain in the tuckiss.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Check out Model Railroader!

I'm making trees out of Sedum which is nothing more than a filler weed for gardens. The mature plants grow stalks that are staight and tall,also hollow) that can be cut in log length for forrest floors. I have over 125 trees right now and though the process is a bit tedious...the results are spectacular and cost saving. So check out model railroader(Nov. 2009 I believe) and give it a whirl.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MacDaddy, just googled sedum, ouch 400 varieties! Can you narrow it down any? Don't recall seeing that around but will have to keep my eyes open. Do you hobby tack and dip these stems? May have to do some planting this spring!

·
Registered
122 Posts
For the wire armature pine trees, lots of people use cheap Christmas trees. Clip them to the desired length, trim into a pine shape, spray with cheap hairspray and dust with ground foam. There should be a how-to with photos around somewhere. It's a recuring theme in model magazines. And the trees can be had for nearly nothing, just check yard sales. I have a half dozen or so that people gave me so they would not have to store them.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
How many varieties!!

Now thats a lot of Sedum!!:laugh: I saw the article in Modelrailroader and went right to my wife with "What the Heck is Sedum"? She just said its a Flower garden filler that starts small and as it matures gets about 2-3 Ft high. the best time to cultivate is after the first frost of autumn or just before the first smow of November.....its naturally dryer. I have two connects, one is my next door neighbor and the other is a Nature center here in town. My eyes popped out at the size of the plants and the tops. Cut the plants long with prunning shears or hand cutter. You'll get a butt load of logs and forrest floor stuff from the trimmings. All told I cut 4 out of six mature plants and I have 125 usable trees of all shapes and sizes(every part of the plant is usable. I dipped the entire stalk in a pickle bucket with a 4-1 water to Matte medium(you can use elmers glue but it doesnt feel right) probably double the amount to get the entire stalk dunked for about 15-20 seconds. Then you take a sheet of insulation (2inch is fine with pre puched holes) stick the trees in and let them dry overnight. The article said upside down but I had them both upside down and rightside up. Go to Walmart and get some stick pins or sewing needles 250 for $1.75 cut the heads off and they will fit in the hollow centers of the stalks.use gorilla glue..makes a great handle for the next step. Spray paint them with Primer grey, dry them overnight then your ready for the foliage. Take any colored course and fine ground turf....put into a icecream bucket...then take another bucket with 1 part elmers glue and 1 water, dunk the canopy tops then take a paint brush to wip away any residue on the trunks, dunk the heads in the foliage and sprinle fine turf to fill in any open spaces. Dry them overnight and you have one heck of a tree. You can also use treated stalks for dead trees during autumn. My daughter is taking an African Life studies cours and wants me to make a diorama of the Veldt with lions ,elephants etc. after adding everything up you still can't find a cheaper way to do this and the results are spectacular. Check out Model Railroader Nov. 2009 its worth it. Hope this helped!:thumbsup: PS. Don't discard the solutions if you cover then tightly you can reuse them...but do strain them or your house will smell like last years garden...ooops

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks MacDaddy for the scoop on the article. I can't find the article so you've helped me out quite a bit. Just picked up a tree kit from Hobby Lobby. 30% off WS stuff. Yippe, a dunkin we will go.....

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
No problem!!

My son goes to the U. of Minnesota and they have a model railroad club.....they spent a day making what looks like FANGORN FORREST!!:eek:
I'll try to post the photos but with my ancient gateway it could take an hour or a day!:eek:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
They Would walk a 1,000,000 miles!

Great bunch of kids and instructors that have dedicated themselves to bringing railroading to the student population and community. the website has a train watching section of all the hotspots arround campus. Before Ian graduates I might have to make a donation of money and materials to the Club. I'll have to post more pictures of what the Lads are up to!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Dang Reck, I'm not THAT FAST! Those boys can cover more layouts than A Playboy centerfold!:laugh:
Mac, my naive innocence prevents me from responding. *L* My reason for asking was I wanted to know what they were using. Some of those trees looked like perfect minatures of trees on the African veldt. Not that I've been there, but I watch the Discovery Channel.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
The lads used a combination of course ground turf and ground lichen in a varied green scheme. The only thing that stands out is they Fluffed the trees to look fuller....I'll have to ask how they accomplished that trick.....and I know its not a problem getting the info. I'll try to post more photos.......but again that darn computer of mine!:mad::mad:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts