Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in he process of setting up an HO layout in my basement. It is a l that is 8x8x4x4x4x4. One of the 4x8 sections is going to be a typical table with foam on top for sound deadening and landscaping. The other 4x4 portion of the L if going to be a planter for my wife's herb garden with a town and track running through it. I have a ton of HO Brass and Steel snap track. Also I have some steel EX track. What I need to know is what is the advantacge of each type listed below? I do not want to lay all of the track only to find that it was a disaster.

Snap Track Brass
Snap Track Steel
Snap Track Nickle
EZ Track Steel
EZ Track Nickle
Any other suggestions?

I had thought the EZ track in the planter and snap track everwhere else so that the road bed is not damaged by soil.

·
Registered
106 Posts
One thing to be sure about is that you use the same track height called code. Sounds like most of what you have is code 100 but there is also a code 83 which is not a tall as code 100 and thereby looks closer to scale for HO. But code 100 is fine I have made several layouts using them. But mixing may cause a problem. Mixing may look somewhat funky unless you seperate them and run each together with similar track. You will want to be sure to get a track cleaner/eraser whatever you use unless it is new and unused. Old track does not conduct as well unless it is real clean.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the answers. I have decided to go with nickle code 100 flex track for most of the layout. In the area with the herb garden I am going to use the EZ track. For all other sections I will fill in with some of the existing snap track I have. I when to the local hobby shop and found out just how nice the cork roadbed really is compared to the EZ track's roadbed. Also the sound dampening was great. I really like the ability to make any shape a radius turn my train can handel with the flex track system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts