Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with the downfall of Pan Am railways, what is to be done with its f units? I’ve just seen a video on tik tok of CSX M427 with two. I’m not sure how many pan am had as I’ve never looked into the railroad’s history but I’ve seen them before in videos elsewhere. So what do you think CSX is likely to do with them? Will they sell, scrap, donate to a museum, or use on their own office car specials?

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I would not expect to see them scrapped. There have been recent photos of them running in Railpace Magazine. The June issue has a photo of PAR1 under tow, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t operable. I think it more likely that CSX would add it to their executive fleet or sell it to another Railroad, maybe a tourist RR

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would not expect to see them scrapped. There have been recent photos of them running in Railpace Magazine. The June issue has a photo of PAR1 under tow, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t operable. I think it more likely that CSX would add it to their executive fleet or sell it to another Railroad, maybe a tourist RR
That’s what I was thinking. Either of those options are possible but I didn’t know if anyone had heard a rumor about them being scrapped or not

·
Registered
526 Posts
Those F9 are as old as I am so it will be interesting to see what they do with them.
I actually didn't know what you guys were talking about so I had to look it up....
Wikipedia wrote.... Pan Am Railways, Inc. (PAR) is a subsidiary of CSX Corporation that operates Class II regional railroads covering northern New England from Mattawamkeag, Maine, to Rotterdam Junction, New York.[1] Pan Am Railways is primarily made up of former Class II regional railroads such as Boston and Maine Corporation, Maine Central Railroad Company, Portland Terminal Company, and Springfield Terminal Railway Company. It was formerly known as Guilford Transportation Industries and was also known as Guilford Rail System. Guilford bought the name, colors, and logo of Pan American World Airways in 1998. Pan Am Railways parent Pan Am Systems was put up for sale in July 2020. On November 30, 2020, CSX Corporation announced that it had signed a definitive agreement to purchase Pan Am Systems.

Pretty cool train line....I never knew.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
That photo is a nice example of a "shorty" passenger train you could run on a layout. Although I'm sure 2 F-units are overkill.

·
Premium Member
13,359 Posts
That photo is a nice example of a "shorty" passenger train you could run on a layout. Although I'm sure 2 F-units are overkill.
Although it looks like only a two car train, it also looks like the track curves behind that last car, which could mean that there are more cars that we can’t see….

1 - 10 of 10 Posts