Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
There’s lots of stuff this car could be carrying, depending on the decade and region of the country. With side stakes, it could carry loose pulp wood. It could carry lashed down piping, steel girders, concrete spans, rails, sleeper ties, etc. It could also be carrying large mechanical components, such as large diesel generators, large air conditioning units, water impellers, large ship propellers, large rolled steel spools, large rolls of steel wire, etc. A lot of the mechanical loads could be covered in tarps. I think I’ve seen a YouTube video on how to model tarps using aluminum foil and appropriate colored paint. Lots of possibilities.

·
Registered
683 Posts
You're already ladening it, with logs ! Only thing you need is chains or guy (gye ?) wires w/ratchets anchoring them to the car...Logs don't always have to be on 'log' cars...It's a flat car with a load headed for a piano factory in Peoria,Ill...!! Why not ? You got it already !! Finish it up with Dulcote and other weathering....May first want to get rid of the old horn-hook couplers in favor of body mounted knuckle couplers, though 🏭🏭🛤🌄🌵....

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
Really, the shorter answer is "what ISN'T transported on flat cars. Loose, bulk commodities (grain, potash, coal) and liquids. Pretty much anything else goes. Those are some pretty big logs (5' diameter), there aren't too many trees that big in harvestable timber stands. With stakes on the sides of the car, logs up to about 2' diameter would be appropriate, though.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
This particular car with the heavy reinforced frame and deck, and three-axle trucks is designed specifically for very heavy loads. Think electrical transformers, industrial equipment, etc. Steel support blocking, bracing and securement would be directly welded to the steel deck of the car.

Lighter stuff like regular vehicles, steel beams/pipe/plate, logs, wire, etc. wouldn't require such a heavy duty car and would ship on more standard sorts of cars. Logs require side stakes/"bunks" to safely hold in place though. Vehicles require chain tie downs.

·
Registered
683 Posts
CTValley, I don't think they load coal, grain, or liquids on flat cars..That's what hoppers, tanks, box cars, and gondolas are for..

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
I got this in a box of bits from a friend, what would it have been laden with?
View attachment 548021
aquakiwi;

As the others have said, just about anything. However, you might add anything really heavy! the six-wheel trucks and the deep center side beam mean this car was designed to carry extra-heavy loads.

Traction Fan 🙂

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Yeah, it was a little ambiguous. And I don't fully agree with it either.

Really only large, bulky items that can be exposed to the elements.

Bulk materials and liquids go in hoppers and tank cars yes, and lots of stuff is shipped in boxcars (all sorts of manufactured goods, food stuffs other than bulk grains, paper, some grades of lumber, millwork, particle board, etc.), autoracks are specifically designed for vehicle loading except for large oversize vehicles. Sheet steel is shipped in coils and in specially designed cars or specially equipped gondola cars with troughs/bunks for the coils and removable covers to protect them from the elements. Plain gondola cars can also carry bulk materials like stone, scrap steel etc. as well as some of the same loads that flatcars can such as steel pipe and beams, etc. and I've also seen heavy steel billets loaded loose in gons.

But even flatcars are specialized for different things. Vehicles require chain tie downs. Logs require side stakes. Most other things require tie down points for strapping. Sometimes/often you really need a wood or nailable deck so you can attach wood blocking and bracing. Lumber was once shipped on standard flatcars but center-truss cars were specifically designed to improve loading of packaged lumber and reduce wasted strapping and banding.

But as noted before, the car in this thread is a heavy duty car, with a plain steel deck, and no stake pockets. It has no where to attach side stakes, chains or strapping/banding, and no wood decking to nail down wood blocking/bracing. It's really only suitable for large heavy loads supported with steel blocking and supports welded directly to the deck, but also not so oversize so as to require a drop-deck/depressed center car.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
CTValley, I don't think they load coal, grain, or liquids on flat cars..That's what hoppers, tanks, box cars, and gondolas are for..
No, and I didn't intend to say that. The word "Not" should have preceeded that sentence, as the "pretty much anything else goes" would have indicated to the astute reader.

·
Registered
683 Posts
CTValley, What do you mean by "No, and I didn't intend to say that" ? I didn't in post #9 ask you any thing further, plus I admitted there I'd read your post #4 wrongly. What are you now saying in #11; that I read your post wrongly (again) ??!

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
CTValley, What do you mean by "No, and I didn't intend to say that" ? I didn't in post #9 ask you any thing further, plus I admitted there I'd read your post #4 wrongly. What are you now saying in #11; that I read your post wrongly (again) ??!
Let it go, Indiana. Mistakes and misinterpretation happen.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Atlas & BLMA make excellent gray plastic HO scale 'concrete' K-rails.
They look very realistic on flats and nested in gons if they're 'toned down' and weathered correctly... which is very easy to do without an airbrush.
[Note]: Concrete isn't gray from a scale distance -- it's more in the tan range.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts