Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While rooting around in my mom's basement, I found my old train set from about 40 years ago. It's a Lionel O gage (the three-rail setup is O, right?) Lionel number 9820 "Military Train Set"

It's pretty complete; it says there was a squad of soldiers with it, but those are missing. Locomotive is a 2-4-2, works, I think it may be missing some decorative side covers over the wheels. Tender, flatcar with plastic tank, "Strategic air command" car with elevating gun, including wooden projectile, exploding boxcar, medical caboose. It's in the original box with what I think is all the original paperwork, instructions etc.

I have no idea what this stuff is worth these days. Is it a collector's item? curiosity? Who-cares? I might just hang on to it and find a place to put it together; if anybody's really interested in stuff like this, I'd appreciate a PM. Thanks...

·
Yard Master & Research
10,694 Posts
Try e bay and use car numbers.
I do not have a list for sets. My guess is fudimension era 70's. Not as good as a pre 1970 which would make it post war. Is it a decorative box? That would be fundimension. The 2-4-2 is not very collectable basicallly a scout engine. The strategic air command is promising. The hospital car was disappointing for that era but much better in postwar. A complete set would be a guess at 150. My Laser set from the 80's is valued at that. If it is older the price goes up. So at least find the cars on e bay and go from there.

I could tell you more with car numbers and colors, so this eval is unseen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I thrashed around some on ebay, but I'm not sure how to search most effectively, most stuff I looked for turned up nothing or way too much irrelevant stuff.

I'm pretty sure this stuff predates fundimension. My understanding is that they owned Lionel post-1970, and this stuff is mid-sixties. The newest datestamp on the paperwork is 1964, which matches my recollection of when I was given the set.

Here's a few pix.

Thanks in advance for any more info.

Attachments

·
Yard Master & Research
10,694 Posts
You have a gem. The alstate was a Sears set from 1964. It rates the highest rariety. The engine 240 alone in vg condition is 150. The set is uncatalogued . Like New it is at 375. Very Rare Military is colectable. The Medic caboose was rated at 50 in vg condition. You have the box set! Sell at a professional train auction if you do. I cannot determine the value but it is valuable. I tols you 60's was worth more. The engine number was the key. The set number is unlisted. I think it is the rarest Scout engine.
Congratulations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, who knew? Thanks!

So I guess the next question is how to find a train auction. Pointers? Do they get announced on this forum?

Do you think I'm better off just leaving it untouched or trying to clean it up and run it a bit? I'd kind of like to run it around a little for old time's sake, but I know with other old stuff it's easy to screw up the value by hacking at it.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,694 Posts
Leave it alone if you sell. You will have to work to find one. Try various magazines. The TCA has events. To get the max you will have to ship and insure.
Good Luck I can only offer 50 bucks.:D
The engine is in Doyles Cat of Prewar Lionel Trains for your ref.
It will take a national auction to price the set out.
You could have the pieces graded.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,040 Posts
Leave it alone if you sell. You will have to work to find one. Try various magazines. The TCA has events. To get the max you will have to ship and insure.
Good Luck I can only offer 50 bucks.:D
The engine is in Doyles Cat of Prewar Lionel Trains for your ref.
It will take a national auction to price the set out.
You could have the pieces graded.

I will raise you to $100.. :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Huh. I googled around a bit and found a few sites which say they have auctions sometimes, or are running online auctions, but they seem to all want me to sign up and horse around. You're probably going to tell me I should just do that :)

What about just putting it on ebay as a set? Apologies if that's a stupid question, I dunno if that's a thing that works in the model train world, or if everybody uses the specialized sites or in-person auctions.

I pinged [email protected], and he offered me 1500 for it. I'm a bit shocked. Maybe I should just do that...

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,040 Posts
By the way that tank you got in the set is hard to find. I guess most of them got wrecked or lost in with all the other kids toys. As back then most sets were not bought with a collectors investment thoughts. But rather as their kids toy.

OK I will raise my bid to $150:D

Whoops I was posting this and you beat me in.

I would bet that the tank alone would bring a good buck!
If he's offering that you can get more.

If they were mine I would hold on to them. If your young enough whatever they are worth they will be worth 3 times as much years from now.

I guess you don't want $150 now.:laugh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By the way that tank you got in the set is hard to find. I guess most of them got wrecked or lost in with all the other kids toys.

Not too surprising. I remember my brother and I would get the thing cranking and watch the tank fling off around the corners. I bet most of them ended up under the couch or someplace :):)
If they were mine I would hold on to them. If your young enough whatever they are worth they will be worth 3 times as much years from now.

I guess you don't want $150 now.:laugh:
I guess not :)

Thanks for the advice, I'll consider it seriously. I might hang onto it, but would also be happy to see it go to a good home where somebody appreciates it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That set looks great! Are you actually looking to sell it here? If not I will move this to the O scale forum...
Hi B&M, my apologies if I posted this in the wrong place. My original intent was to get a handle on what this set is worth. I must say I'm a bit overwhelmed. I had no idea that my old toy would provoke this kind of interest!

I guess I am looking to sell it. Like I said in the previous post, I might opt to hang onto it for a while, but I *would* be happy to see it end up with somebody who really appreciates it. I guess leave it here. Ray said 1500, anybody else want to make me an offer?

Also would appreciate advice about ebay. I've had good luck both buying and selling stuff there, but if that's the wrong place to put model trains, I won't bother.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Also would appreciate advice about ebay. I've had good luck both buying and selling stuff there, but if that's the wrong place to put model trains, I won't bother.
When selling model trains on eBay, give a detailed, honest description of the condition... Also, the more pictures you put up the better...

·
Yard Master & Research
10,694 Posts
At this point if you are not an ebay seller it is not worth it. Your extra fees will add up. A good Postwar auction would do. 1500 ? wow, after all it is a Scout or hang onto it till the economy improves.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,040 Posts
Like I said if he offered $1500.00 you can get a lot more from some one who wants it and has the bucks. Maybe double that?

No thanks, not me to steep for my wallet.:D

Hard to find that set with the box and all the pieces. Yes I would say rare.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the info. I thrashed around some on ebay, but I'm not sure how to search most effectively, most stuff I looked for turned up nothing or way too much irrelevant stuff.

I'm pretty sure this stuff predates fundimension. My understanding is that they owned Lionel post-1970, and this stuff is mid-sixties. The newest datestamp on the paperwork is 1964, which matches my recollection of when I was given the set.

Here's a few pix.

Thanks in advance for any more info.
This is a Rare Allstate set made by Lionel for sears number 9820. It includes a plastic 240 locomotive and a rare 3666 Minuteman Missile launcher with a blue roof shown in the photo. Most items were only made for this set by Lionel making the extremely hard to find today. The flatcar held a tank which is missing from my set. This tank is considered scarce. The 3666 minteman car sell for $500.-800 this is the main item for this set and the hole set will bring in $2000-3000 .so if i was you i hold on to it for some more year when the usa get back on it feet .just thing about it the box itself sell for over $100.00 .but this set just sold for $350.00 at
Code:
www.liveauctioneers.com
Lot 146 email save
ABT:Lionel #9820 Sears/Allstate Military Set Box
Sold For $350
This is the Original Set Box for the #9820 Sears/Allstate Military Set that Lionel made around 1964. This Uncatalogued Set would have included the #240 Steam Engine, the #1130T Type small Streamline Tender, the #3666 Cannon Firing Box Car, the #6401 Flat Car with Tank, the #6470 Exploding Box Car, the #347 Cannon Firing Range Set and the #6824-50 White Rescue Caboose with Black Frame. PLEASE REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE ONLY BIDDING ON THE ORIGINAL SET BOX. The Set Box is in (7+) Condition, very firm and strong colors, but with a lot of water-based shipping tape. With time, effort and STEAM, we think most of the tape can be removed. All Original in our Opinion. Please add $15.00 for US-48 Shipping, plus the cost of Insurance.

ABT:Lionel #9820 Sears/Allstate Military Set Box

1 - 16 of 16 Posts