Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older MTH GP-7 diesel that actually smokes very very well. I've been adding fluid as the manual says and I know I've never over filled it. The manual says to add 15-20 drops in either of the openings. I always use the rear one which is more of a straight shot to the smoke unit.

I opened the engine up this morning to check it over after a crash yesterday and there is fluid everywhere. Looks like it was mainly coming down the sides of the engine cover and pooling on the base of the engine. I'm sure it's because it's not a straight shot to the smoke unit and some of it is going wherever it wants.

I've looked for little pipes and things but I can't find anything long enough to get all the way to the smoke unit. What do you use?

Boy is it a pain to clean up

·
Registered
757 Posts
Mega Steam sells small bottles with small needle tips. I have bought several different size bottles from EBay with tips ranging from 16 ga to 24 ga, just depends on the engine/opening and whether I have it apart to fill it.

While you have it apart, check the wick. Many times the MTH wick is wrapped around the heating element which partially blocks the hole.

When filling, add 4-5 drops and wait a few seconds for it to run down into the bowl. Add a few more, wait...repeat

·
Registered
757 Posts
Check out the smoke unit videos in my YouTube Channel. They explain a lot, and help you understand how to fill the smoke units, as well as how much they will hold. Keeping them smoking at optimum performance takes practice, and every engine is different. Some hold a lot less than 25 drops and some can hold a lot more.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I didn't know MegaSteam had something like that. I think my best bet is to get something I can add the fluid directly inside of the smoke unit instead of flowing down the stack. I have watched your videos and they were very informative. Thanks

This unit has the standard MTH PS2 smoke unit but neither of the smoke output stacks are directly above it. I've checked the funnel and it does not seat fully on the brass thing on the smoke unit nor does it have a gasket so there is plenty of space for fluid to go flowing out.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I don’t have a GP-7, but I have a few MTH GP-38s that are probably similar. The plastic smoke manifold is not a tight fit to the brass funnel of the smoke unit, but the bottom of the smoke manifold should extend below the top of the brass smoke unit funnel. On the GP-38s, the rear exhaust port sits directly above the smoke unit and it has an orifice like part that restricts the smoke flow to the rear port / allows equal smoke flow to the front exhaust port. I have found it best to add smoke fluid to the front port and give it some time to drain thru the smoke manifold and into the smoke unit.

·
Registered
757 Posts
>Thats another common problem, just like most F units. The funnel that connects the 2 stacks doesn't seal at the stack or at the bowl. So fluid leaks all over the place. The funnel opening on my 3rd Rail F units was so small that 1 drop took forever to get through. I quit using smoke on most of my diesels because the weathering gets ruined... or the fluid just makes a fricken mess inside and outside the shell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts