Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently started upgrading my gilbert rolling stock with Edward Goldin's wheel kits. It is working great for the trucks with the sintered-iron frames but I'm having to reduce the bushing O.D. and length to get them to work with the sheet metal trucks in order to clear either style of journals. With that small adjustment they work great and reduce the wheel load greatly. My penny's worth is that this is a great upgrade.
Has anyone else made this upgrade as I might be making a mistake with the sheet metal trucks.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I have not done that to any of my cars but I am familiar with Ed's kits. You are the first person I am aware of to modify the the bushing to fit the sheetmetal trucks.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The kits are great and the stock rolls very freely and it really unloaded my engines, but I did find that when inserting the bushing the o.d. of the flange was overlapping the slots in the trucks when the journals were replaced and bottomed out in the journals as well. That's why I posted to see if I was not doing it correctly....Thanks

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
The bushing and axle kits were not designed for the link coupler trucks but it sounds like you have them working with some minor bushing modifications.
The reasons I have not modified any of my Gilbert cars are first, I prefer to keep them original. Second, I am inherently lazy and that sounds like too much work. Replacing the 2 axle trucks with 3 axle trucks on 15 AM passenger cars was my limit. Third, I am pulling the freight trains on my layout with two motor Legacy engines. The longest freights I run are 20 cars and a Legacy engine does not even know there are 20 Gilbert cars behind it, even on the 2.5% ruling grade.
I keep the axles clean and lubed so the old Gilbert cars roll at least as well as the new Lionel Flyer cars. These are nothing like the MTH, SHS or MTH cars that start rolling on a .25% grade. Those are free rolling cars with metal wheels.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do understand how daunting the task is when you have a lot of cars and tenders that you might like to modify. I have been doing mine over time. Ed Goldin has up-dated the kits now the PA10238CF is for Knuckle trucks and the PA9989A is for the link trucks as the axles are a little different in length.
Those Legacy engines sound like brutes and on a 2.5%. I'm with the clean and oil maintenance a real must. I have just finished a PA360 & 361 project that was upgrading the 360 motors to the latest version of the Gilbert diesel motor but done on the older bushed chassis that had the armature ( well ) machined out to except the larger stack field coil and armature. All in an effort to be able to pull the heavy weight passenger cars in the 95x series.
I agree its nice to have the power to pull what you like.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Sounds like a good project would be to put a power truck in the 361 B unit. I have some AM diesels with scale wheels, so no traction tires. I double head them to pull a 6 car passenger train. With Legacy it is easy to build a "train" in the system so the two diesels respond as one but with the second engine reversed.
You can tell I quit looking at those kits, too much work. Carl Tuveson took a different approach with his Lionel and Gilbert cars, he replaced all the trucks with American Models trucks and couplers. Talk about a lot of work!

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have 3 extra of the early power trucks that have been re-bushed and have Pul-more wheels and are only waiting for milling so the large stack field and armature can be installed. That could power the B unit easy. Would you then need a decoder in each one to make up the train? Maybe that is where I need to start the S gauge DCC project as I would not need smoke.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I have minimal knowledge and no experience with DCC. All my command control experience is with TMCC and Legacy. You will need at least one decoder per engine. The stall current on a dual motor diesel is about 7A total for both motors. With traction tires the engines will stall, not slip. My dual motor PA's will draw 6A just pulling a string of passenger cars up a grade. It will be a lot easier w/o smoke but a high amp decoder is still necessary. I hope to learn a lot about DCC from you as this project progresses.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I too hope to share this project with everyone as it progresses. And again thanks for your knowledge.

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
The newest Lionel Flyer Legacy PA/PA sets are great pullers , they have smoke and they are DCC enabled. I took that path, bought the PRR in dark green. All the Legacy engines beginning with the Y-3's will run with DCC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts