Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some spare time so I went through all my spare wheels/rims/insulators and put some together..I have blind wheels, Pacific wheels, square ends, round ends, and Atlantic drive wheels. 001.JPG

002.JPG permanent fix. I used CA in the past but JB Weld seems to do a better job, especially when the entire wheel set is broken down. The new insulators do require quite a bit of fitting though. The centers are very tight and you must sand them down or else you will split them, and they instantly become junk. However, the outside of the white insulators are loose, so you must eye ball them to get the perfectly centered.. Sorry for the poor pixs. These will go into my spare parts for various repairs. 001.JPG

002.JPG

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last one. The white walls are truly nice and white. What I do is to "lap" them on a piece of sandpaper. That is, I turn them face down and move them into a figure 8 pattern.. This will enable them to get a good, level surface on them and it also removes a bit of the yellowing that's occurred 007.JPG over time.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Impressive, I do not have any spare wheels. There seems to be no Northern or 0-8-0 wheels in your repair inventory. Must mean you do not work on those engines as frequently as others.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Impressive, I do not have any spare wheels. There seems to be no Northern or 0-8-0 wheels in your repair inventory. Must mean you do not work on those engines as frequently as others.
You're right Tom.. I do have some NOS wheels for a Northern, but I have them squirreled away, SOMEWHERE,lol!.. I don't get many requests for Northern or switcher repairs.A good friend of mine has the 5 digit switcher, (21145), and I fooled around with that one, but I asked him to take it to a professional for repairs. He actually has 2 complete sets, one set was never run...and they 're not for sale, lol.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll have to remember this (220).

I see you've been putting your new tool (the other thread), to good use.
If you check back a few pictures, you'll see I have a bunch of wheels and center hubs still to do, but I have to wait until the "boss" pays my bill,lol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts