Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
I got into N scale around 1985 when I decided I didn't have the modeling or carpentry skills necessary for HO at the time. :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was late to N scale. I had an old HO layout and was going to build a larger one. Then I discovered I could have twice the layout in the same space. I just wish my fingers and eyesight would permit be to work on the engines. Does anyone have recommendations?

C

·
0 Posts
I first dabbled in N scale in the '70s. I wasn't satisfied with how they ran. I was an O gauger and used to very reliable operation.

In the '80s I again gave N a try but again wasn't satisfied with operation. I built an HO layout instead.

in the '90s I built a G gauge layout in my basement. We moved in 2000 because of my job and I didn't have room for G in our new house. I played with both Z and On30 for a little while, found Z too small and unreliable and On30 too large for the space I had. A friend suggested N. I explained my experience with N but he said modern N was much better. I gave it a try and found N to be as reliable as HO or On30. I build an N scale layout around 2005 and stayed with it until 2014 when shaky hands and poor eyesight made it too small to handle and work on. I returned to my roots and went back to O Gauge.

I still like N but it's too small for me.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
My first N was around 1975. We moved into a home that had a large storeroom. I appropriated one end of the room and started to build a 4x8 layout. Since then I've tried building 4 or 5 4x8s, but haven't gotten any of them finished. Now retired, I find I like to look at and talk model trains, but don't enjoy working on them or a layout. I discovered DCC some years back, and thought it would refuel my interest. It did for awhile, but I have an unfinished, and lately untouched, 4x8 in the basement of our current home.

·
Registered
8,367 Posts
You guys sure do like to expose my ancient age...
Marx 027 and American Flyer 2 rail AC experiences
during high school whetted my appetite for trains but
while career climbing had to put layouts aside. Then
came the 60s...around 64 or so, converted a kitchen
table in a small apartment to a 4 x 8 2 level N scale
layout. Woolco (discount chain of the Woolworth 5 & 10s)
had big selections of N scale locos and rolling
stock. Still have some of the made from scratch
trestles from that layout as a memento in my den.

Don

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had an AC Gilbert and an American Flyer S Scale layout as a boy. I didn't think we were going back to the 1950's.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Ahhh memories . . . As I've noted in other threads; back in the 1960's (I was a little kid) my dad, brother and I built a "Plywood Prairie" HO layout on two 4'x8' sheets of plywood from AHM and Tyco from a Woolworth's in a mall (the kind with a lunch counter). That's when I caught the model railroading bug. :)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I got into N in 1971. Got out 1976.

Currently I am heavy into HO and belong to an O scale club that has a large layout when we can run l-o-n-g trains.

Each scale has advantages and disadvantages. Many modelers are into multiple scales and many change as their life style and space change.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I got into N scale in the late 80s or early 90s. Then a few years ago I lost my house and the layout got totally destroyed. Since I was back to square one my now wife said she wanted to be a part of it so with our advancing age we decided to go with HO. I do miss my N, though.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Recommdations

I was late to N scale. I had an old HO layout and was going to build a larger one. Then I discovered I could have twice the layout in the same space. I just wish my fingers and eyesight would permit be to work on the engines. Does anyone have recommendations?
To answer the OP's question, I switched to N-scale in the early 1970s.

bpiperir; Here are my recommendations:

You can use an Optivisor and/or strong reading glasses for the vision. Also have plenty of light on the work.
A locomotive cradle helps hold the loco still while you work on it.
Tweezers ,surgical clamps and a screw/nut starter tool all help hold onto tiny things.
Work on top of a white terrycloth towel anchored to the table with tape or weights. The rough texture of the towel helps keep parts from rolling off the workbench. The white color makes the tiny parts easier to see. The tape or weights prevent the whole towel, and multiple parts, from sliding off the table.

hope that helps;

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

Locomotive cradle.JPG

tools nut starters.JPG

·
Registered
251 Posts
Around 1971 I had a 2x4' table in my bedroom. The yard tracks weren't laid yet in the middle. I was working at a hobby shop at the time. (the Radio Shack/Realistic/BSR & Nikko audio equipment kind of gives the era away :rolleyes: )

1996, was my 1st real layout (in a spare 10x10' room).

2912 my current, much larger layout in a room I constructed in the basement that has unfortumately been in mothballs for several years. (that photo was shot when I was just starting to lay track)

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
About 11 years ago my younger son and I were at a church bazaar when we saw a Bachmann set, I believe it was the Dispatchers Choice, for $2.00 with a note that said it didn't work. We brought it home fixed a loose wire and enjoyed it up until he went in the service. I have since added rolling stock and looking for engines that I can afford. Right now I am deciding what I'll get for my grandchildren and great-nieces and great-nephews.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Me to!

I remember that issue very well and started my first N scale layout back then while living in a very small trailer. Needless to say my layout was also very small. I moved and all was packed up to never see the light of day. About 60 years later I started back in N scale and it has been slow going. My only advise would be to move slowly and don't be concerned if you change your mind frequently.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I just started in April of this year.

Haven't gotten very far. I blame the O scale guys. They keep distracting me with all the great stuff we can't get in N!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Don't remember but I got some second hand N scale trains around 1971 IIRC. I don't know what happened to them>

Around 1977 I ended up with some N scale trains including an Atlas FA engine that could creep incredibly slow. But in the early 1980's I wanted to model the D&RGW and there were no tunnel motors or other important Rio Grande rolling stock in N so I switched to HO. Although I kept a shoebox with some N scale track and a few freight cars, caboose and a Trix F7A (which doesn't run all that great).

I've been in HO since then but just recently began to collect some N scale. During the past few months I've purchased a KATO SD45, IMRC SD40T-2, a bunch of trailers and flat cars, and 20 Trainworx quad hoppers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First N scale train set (Aurora) was in 1968. Been pretty much in N scale ever since, with brief forays into HO and British OO.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts