Model Train Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
I got into n scale last year when my mother in law gave me a new old complete set she had in her closet for years. It was I believe a Bachman highballer. I thought It would be a perfect under the Christmas tree in my family room set since it was a simple loop of track about an 18 inch circle. Well it was for about 30 seconds then it grew to 4 foot by 4 foot and that was great! For 30 seconds then it went to 6 foot by 4! And now it’s 8 foot by 4 foot.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
That's a most interesting track configuration! :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yeah lol I have no rhyme or reason it’s a little crazy. I tend not to have a plan and run wild and then make it work.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
My dad gave me my Aurora Postage Stamp train set in 1968 for Christmas....still have it in the original box.....everything still runs perfectly; it was made by Mini Trix, and sold as an Aurora set....

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got into n scale last year when my mother in law gave me a new old complete set she had in her closet for years. It was I believe a Bachman highballer. I thought It would be a perfect under the Christmas tree in my family room set since it was a simple loop of track about an 18 inch circle. Well it was for about 30 seconds then it grew to 4 foot by 4 foot and that was great! For 30 seconds then it went to 6 foot by 4! And now it’s 8 foot by 4 foot.

The power packs your using are the same ones I first got my hands on! I haven't seen those in a while. The blocks on top were for what again ? I They controlled the blocks right ?

I like the W figure !:smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes the 215 selectors are for the blocks every section of track can be run off two power packs I like the old school look of them. The hard part is trying to remember what one controls what lol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
18 January 1997. Easy to remember as I landed in the USA on the 25th. The day before the Super Bowl XXXI.

Got into it by accident but I am not sorry ever.

·
Registered
63 Posts
18 January 1997. Easy to remember as I landed in the USA on the 25th. The day before the Super Bowl XXXI.

Got into it by accident but I am not sorry ever.

How did you get into by accident ?! This does not seem to be one of the those things that happens accidentally haha sounds like a good story !

·
Registered
46 Posts
How did you get into by accident ?! This does not seem to be one of the those things that happens accidentally haha sounds like a good story !
Long story short - my younger brother borrowed my car while I was working abroad (UK) and let's just say with him as a student, the car got neglected.

I just returned home, on my way to the USA, and found that I needed the car fixed to be mobile. My mechanic works from his home and he had a rubber-duck boat in his garage when I accidentally slipped and pull a sheet off the boat. Inside the boat was an Kibri N scale layout (similar to the modern Noch preformed plastic layouts).

At the time I just lost out on a big collection of OO in the UK and I was interested.

Turns out the N scale stuff it was for sale. At the same moment his doorbell rung and he said it must be the guy coming to look at the collection. Told him on the spot I'll take it, offered a little more than he wanted and the deal was done.

When he came back from the door he commented "Phew, that guy was pissed!" :sly:

I should have looked who it was... might be a current mate... :cheeky4:

·
Registered
63 Posts
And just like that you had a layout !! Haha that’s pretty sick man. He may have been a mate but you beat him to the punch. Did you happen to disassemble the layout and rebuild it from scratch ? Cool story

·
Registered
46 Posts
Did you happen to disassemble the layout and rebuild it from scratch ? Cool story
Not at all - too lazy.

But last year me and my mates rebuilt it, or at least , rejuvenated it. I then gave it to my uncle who got me into model trains as a 5 year old.

My mates - now that's a whole another kettle of fish. Bunch of reprobates. They organise meetings at my house without me knowing about it! My fault for living sorta in the middle... Next thing I know I have 8 - 10 mouths to feed coffee. This have become a thing and once I have my train room sorted (3 - 4 months) it will be the place to be on a Saturday afternoon in Cape Town. Just need a coffee vending machine... :rolleyes:

I only make like I am complaining - don't tell them. I kinda like it... :laugh::appl:

·
Registered
258 Posts

A picture from my dark gloomy dungeon.
My story throughout this thread, (more pictures too)
https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=7158

View attachment 524640
Wow Big Ed I looked at all the pics and read the old thread that’s a hell of a way to start out lol. Do you still have that Lehigh valley sw1200 switcher? I just picked the same one up at a train show a couple weeks ago and I love how smooth it runs at low speeds. It’s my favorite switcher! Just for the record did not pay what that sticker says!

Attachments

21 - 36 of 36 Posts