Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Is there a way to know if someone is trying to scam you? I've found a good deal on a train set from someone willing to sell there's and I'm skeptical that it's not a scam. The person just joined MTF in the last 10 days as well, which further puts doubt into my mind that the coincidence of someone having what I was looking for and just joining the forum happened at nearly the same time or within a few days of each other. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,036 Posts
Hello,
Is there a way to know if someone is trying to scam you? I've found a good deal on a train set from someone willing to sell there's and I'm skeptical that it's not a scam. The person just joined MTF in the last 10 days as well, which further puts doubt into my mind that the coincidence of someone having what I was looking for and just joining the forum happened at nearly the same time or within a few days of each other. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
I never had a problem buying here.
I never really remember any either.
But your concern is valid.
Send me a PM with a link to check him out?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hasn't mentioned just yet on payment but if I were to do it, I would certainly use goods/services on paypal to just try and protect myself. That is not his name or at least from what I can see/find out, it doesn't "appear" to be his name.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Do not forget this one.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,036 Posts
Hasn't mentioned just yet on payment but if I were to do it, I would certainly use goods/services on paypal to just try and protect myself. That is not his name or at least from what I can see/find out, it doesn't "appear" to be his name.
The one in the link you sent me has not posted anything here?
Zip, nothing.
How do you know he has stuff for sale?
Did he contact you by PM?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, I had posted a listing for a set I was looking for and was contacted regarding that listing.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,036 Posts
I did a quick google search, it looks like the same one joined other forums. There is a Nigeria reference too

Don't know how you saw something for sale here as he has listed or posted nothing?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Well you could ask him for info to try to establish his credibility. Ask him for the complete product number (you left the last digit out of your post). Ask for pictures, how many miles on it, how many hours, how do the doors work, how does smoke work? Is the price too good to be true?

As noted in the links above, some SOBs troll for wanted ads. You are right to be suspicious

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,036 Posts
Yes, I had posted a listing for a set I was looking for and was contacted regarding that listing.
OK, I would stay far away from the one, he should be reported as a scammer I think, though he didn't actually do nothing wrong yet.
Stick to our for sale forum, when you list it is wise to check the person out like you said.

This one I would stay away from.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,036 Posts
I wonder if anyone else here looking for something has been contacted by him?

·
Registered
382 Posts
They come here and look at the wanted section join and then pm the person that they have one (they don't). The same thing as the link I posted. There Back!! SCAM!!

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,036 Posts
They come here and look at the wanted section join and then pm the person that they have one (they don't). The same thing as the link I posted. There Back!! SCAM!!
Should be booted out of here? Huh?
I hate scammers !

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Everyone for your input. It does seem to good to be true and I am going to stay far away from this one as it does seem that according to y'all posts that this would be a scam. Appreciate all your help.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks Everyone for your input. It does seem to good to be true and I am going to stay far away from this one as it does seem that according to y'all posts that this would be a scam. Appreciate all your help.
You should pm one of the Administrators here and give them the name and point them to this post.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts