Attitudes towards platitudes,
Far too much rhetoric
from know-it-all pundits.
I got off at the last stop.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John: Yes, but only for health reasons. I gave up on the mind altering ones. Gotta go cut some trees from the last big wind. New Atlas 80 volt chain saw from Harbor Freight. Only took a month to get it.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Uhhh, I don't get it...Walmart? Heat?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Uhhh, I don't get it...Walmart? Heat?
Hmmm, I thought you would certainly be one to understand. The protesters were joined by those who had a completely different agenda. They were out to disrupt, cause chaos, burn, pillage, and cause general unrest amongst the peoples of our nation. When stores were broken into, and goods looted and then the stores set afire, Walmart's and Target stores in areas of unrest closed down, and blockaded their entrances. Without the prime stores open and available, the unrest started to cool. Perhaps it was just a coincidence, or perhaps not. Without one of the main suppliers of consumer goods available, I believe cooler heads prevailed. Just an opinion.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
O.H. "That explains the thread title, but what's the other gibberish mean....?"

Twenty-four hours a day. News media, countless experts on ALL phases of our lives, each parroting what most have said already. Then, when the truth becomes latent or stagnant, new pundits with information that seems, on the surface to be self-serving, and perhaps even unfactual, become the focus, in order to keep the ratings up. I had just had enough, hence I disconnected, and got off the train of intellectual numbness.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Thank you Bob. After the two explanations, it makes sense. I'm not much of a translator of poetry or artfully written prose.

I remember in hi school English, we had to write a paper on what this particular poem meant. I think I got a D or F on it, cuz my interpretation didn't match up to hers. Well, what I wrote was what it meant to ME! It was an unfair assignment, I thought.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you Bob. After the two explanations, it makes sense. I'm not much of a translator of poetry or artfully written prose.

I remember in hi school English, we had to write a paper on what this particular poem meant. I think I got a D or F on it, cuz my interpretation didn't match up to hers. Well, what I wrote was what it meant to ME! It was an unfair assignment, I thought.
That brought a memory, perhaps funny, perhaps sad. I had lady English Literature in 8th grade. She and I had a dispute over the fact that most English Poets were drug addicts, drunks, homosexuals, or just plain crazy. She worshiped them. After that dispute, no matter how hard I tried, EVERY paper I turned in came back with a D--. After awhile, I gave up and filled every paper with nonsense and the absolute worse curse words I could think of. And, guess what? They all came back with a D--. That is how my grades came out on my report card too. I had planned and schemed to take my evidence to the principal, but never followed through. I did have fun in the class, every day offering a counter point to her praise for the poets she so admired.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
i mean maybe you she didnt think you had expanded your mind enough -- after all can you get pass go without at least one of those traits? (see elon musk: plain crazy, open drug use)

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
She was just about the poetry. At the time, I was only interested in the poets. In my 14 year old mind, I couldn't fathom the deeper meaning of the poetry. But, I did recognize that I was doomed to only a passing grade no matter how much or how little effort I put in. So, I opted out, and put in not effort. She never read what I submitted. She couldn't have, to, I would have been thrown out of class, and, perhaps even school. I wrote some pretty scathing things about her.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think it was a mutual consideration.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts