Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just my observation but the LHS and ebay seem to not have any train set offerings from Atlas these days. HO, O, N, all have dissapeared from the store shelves these days. Athearn used to make several nice HO train sets as well. I have only seen one of those lately. So this begs the question, How are we to get younger people into the hobby if there are no starter options. I am also very much against DCC or similar in a train set that is designed for beginners.. I was in a hobby shop last Christmas and a young boy was there with his grandmother. They got sticker shock from DCC sets that the LHS had and he chose a LEGO train instead.

·
Registered
7,665 Posts
Atlas has not released anything for quite some time, as they were caught up in the now infamous China factory issue. Also caught up in that were Bowser, Intermountain, and a few others. Those companies haven't had any new releases in a while.....

Athearn has their own production facility, as does Accurail and Rapido, so you'll notice new offerings from them.....

·
Registered
762 Posts
To my knowledge, Atlas has never made power packs, transformers - whatever you want to call them - that you need for a complete "starter set". That was a market niche they left to companies like MRC. :)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Atlas absolutely made power packs. You can find their model 1700 on eBay. Their ‘Universal’ model which was included in their N scale offerings is showing as Out of Stock, but yes, Atlas did make them.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Oh, OK. I know they didn't used to - I have some Atlas layout books from the late 1980's/early 1990's in both N and HO that clearly state that they don't - but that could have changed. My bad. :eek:

·
Registered
671 Posts
The only reason I knew is that I’m pretty sure I had one at one time, but had to look it up to be sure.
Like Ol Hobo said, Atlas has had some major manufacturing problems and this last episode was not the first.
A few years back there was a problem with their electrical switches, resulting in 0 inventory. The good old US made ones found used on eBay had to fill that void.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts