Where do you frequent the most for your train hobby purchases? And why?:sold:

Who is most helpful?

Who has best customer service?

Thank you for your responses!

OKFarmer

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
A big chunk of mine are from used sources -- mostly online, some ogr, some here, some ebay. I bought some items at two shows -- the only two I've been to. Then several online retailers -- train world, modeltrainstuff (m.b. klein), and several others. After this -- the actual soon to be closed M.B. Klein retail front, the closest to me hobby shop down the road -- and several in the greater area. I've purchased 2 HO engines on travel in foreign lands from the same retail shop. [oops - edit]

I think the online retailers have all been top notch -- I like trainworld and modeltrainstuff. I can't say which I've bought more at -- perhaps about even in a dollar amount. And though I favor the latter these days due to proximity but also because it's a little more HO oriented and I could or so I thought "always just run up there and get some answer..." - although this is changing soon. Anyway, nothing bad about either or any other online retailer.

My used purchases being mostly O -- have been good experiences, no issues at all. On ebay I had some minor issues with HO but ignored it, overall its been fine too.

Never had any problems face to face -- just note that some shops have more knowledge than others. Some are run by train people, some are not.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Patrick's Trains in Wheeling, West Virginia.

Competitive pricing, excellent service, friendly interactions and backs what he sells.

Bill

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Plenty of on line stores have excellent service and will be happy to answer questions. Beside the ones already mentioned, I like Nicholas Smith, Model Train Stuff, Menards and Just Trains of Delaware. If you spend more than a few bucks in your order, some will give free shipping.

Ebay is another source, but you do have to use a bit of caution. I’ve gotten good buys from ebay and I have been burned.

I’m lucky to live in SE PA where there are plenty of train meets and local hobby shops.

I would see if you have any local hobby shops or train meets near you in OK. You might also find an on line place that’s not too far from you (might get cheaper or faster shipping).

·
Admin
43,526 Posts
I do a lot of my new stuff at Henning's Trains, though I have bought from Pat's Trains, ModelTrainStuff, Nicholas Smith, and Charles Ro a few times.

As for used, I get a lot of it through personal contacts, forum sales, and the trainshows I visit locally.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I keep a spreadsheet. In past two years, I've purchased from:

Model Train Stuff
Trainworld
Nicholas Smith
Nassau Hobby
Mario's
Pat's
Charles Ro
Western Depot
Side Track Hobbies
Mercer Junction
Stockyard Express
Menard's
Stout Auctions
eBay
TCA X-change
Grand Central Station (Kearney, NJ via MTH product locator)
Trainz.com
USA Track (Kirk Lindvig)
Trainshelf (Dick Wachtman)
OGR forum
Local Train Show

·
Registered
446 Posts
Where do you frequent the most for your train hobby purchases? And why?:sold:

Who is most helpful?

Thank you for your responses!

OKFarmer
In my experience, I received the best customer service from Al Rudman at Sidetrack Hobbies. I also had a good experience with the folks at Nicholas Smith. I'm talking about returns and exchanges. They were both very easy to deal with.

As for the others, I either never had a problem, or if I did, they were awful. I won't get into who they were though! :eek:

·
Registered
378 Posts
I COLLECT WHAT I LIKE

Local Train & Toy show presented every 3 months or so. Craigslist, Antique Malls, Flea Markets. eBay until a few years ago when the shipping rates went thru the roof.

LATER

·
Registered
134 Posts
Who is most helpful?
Marios has been extremely helpful to me. Best packing I've ever seen, bar-none - Styrofoam peanuts on all sides = UPS standards.

Toss-up between Marios and Charles Ro.

I buy most of my Lionel stuff from Charles. He pays for return shipping for defective items and sends me catalogs. He is an authorized repair shop for Lionel, too.

For MTH, it's mostly Marios, although I've bought Lionel stuff from him as well.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts