Model Train Forum banner

Which brand of model trains do you collect?

• Total voters
1 - 40 of 248 Posts

·
Community support
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Its time for a quick poll.Which brand of model trains do you collect?

Just curious to know which brands you guys collect..this will give me some idea of what you guys would like to read. I hope to build toypedia using the poll results too. Hoping to get a good response!

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Along that line, though....Vish, there tend to be two sects to model trains: Collectors and Runners. Mostly we get along, supporting the same hobby, but there are distinct differences in what we value. There's also quite a bit of crossover, but what I prize (as a Runner) may not be of any value or interest to a Collector.

Also...some of us are interested in real trains, while others are less interested; some are engrossed in steam locomotives, while others focus on diesels and electrics. Finally, trolleys and subways have their own adherents, as well.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,430 Posts
Let's see.:rolleyes:
I fixed the 2333, 248, two 520s. Assembled a 5690. Saved a 2016 from a drywall screw. I originaly bought it for parts but it ran much better than my other engines, I couldn't do it.
Resuscitated a Marx 999,with another 999 and a 400 still in intensive care.
I have the first 224, a 1668, that still need parts.
The 300AC needs to be tweaked. Another AF in line for help.
Not to mention my garage sale Marklin Z that needs a motor.
Well worn, cheep, and broken is definitely my niche.:cool:
But all the lights work!!!!!!!

·
16,661 Posts
You asked.

Cheep and broken, mostly.:)
I'm with T-Man on this one ...

""Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me."

;)

TJ

·
16,661 Posts
I'd be curious how many have Tyco in the "other" category. Not so much that these are "collector's items" or anything close to that, but it seems many of us have a bunch of 'em from way back when we were kids. Maybe?

TJ

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Crash & Burn Section!

I'd be curious how many have Tyco in the "other" category. Not so much that these are "collector's items" or anything close to that, but it seems many of us have a bunch of 'em from way back when we were kids. Maybe?

TJ
Yeah TJ,
As kids we started out with these and now they are just" Fodder for the Garage Floor" or "Great Train Wrecks We Know and Love! :laugh: Other is the perfect place...but these are the building blocks to running more sophisticated rolling stock and engines...they have served their purpose admirably!:thumbsup: I run Atlas,Athearn,AHM/Rivarossi!

·
play every day
4,950 Posts
The only thing close to a collection is this small group of 50 year old Model Engineering Works all diecast rolling stock. I think they're really cool... :)

·
Community support
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi guys!

I started this poll to get to know more about the reputed modelling brands. I did some surfing and found these brands which seem to be popular

Athearn-HO scale
Kato-HO scale
Atlas-HO scale
MPH-O scale

If you think I've missed out some brands which are important, Please let me know and I will start a new poll with a comprehensive list.

Thanks!

·
Yard Master & Research
10,430 Posts
Vish, I have noticed that Canada has a strong European influence with buisness. In the states we don't see a lot of imported trains. Some brands are common but I would guess most are not. Now a place like Eurohobbies specializes in imports and carries many of the brands you have mentioned for Canada and the US. This is just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Vish, I have noticed that Canada has a strong European influence with buisness. In the states we don't see a lot of imported trains. Some brands are common but I would guess most are not. Now a place like Eurohobbies specializes in imports and carries many of the brands you have mentioned for Canada and the US. This is just something to keep in mind.
That was the reason for my "What are you guys doing and why" question in another thread. It would appear Toypedia is UK-based (not an issue); the items posted for discussion were all of European manufacture, stuff we don't see much of on this side of the water. That led me to wonder if we were being gently encouraged to buy European products, or if Toypedia's knowledge and experience was simply limited to those manufacturers. It would appear the latter is the case.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Vish,

Let me save you some digging, since I have a few minutes before lunch. I'm going to give you a synopsis of American Flyer and S scale.

In brief: American Flyer was the primary developer and manufacturer of S scale in the USA. It's golden years were just before WWII and after the war. It's best products, IMHO, were manufactured from around 1938 to 1960. Shortly after that, it went bankrupt. Lionel bought the tooling, the name, and so on and now produces it as a minor part of it's catalog, generally referred to as "Flyonel". There are other manufacturers of S scale, but they never have caught on the way American Flyer or Flyonel have.

I think it's fair to say the largest segment of S scale users are running antique, American Flyer equipment made in the 1938 to 1960 period. S scale is halfway between O and HO, incidentally, and is generally acknowledged to be superior to all other model railroad equipment. Okay, most of them admit it, but privately.

·
Community support
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, all European stuff so far (and I am from India - not sure what the brands over there are). The folks at Toy Collector have started with ToyPedia almost 2 years ago and now have 35,000 diecast cars (with more than 100,000 coming). I started single-handed to upload model trains and my first data was coming from a Hornby dealer (Hornby now owns Arnold, Lima, Ravarossi). Am now working to get North American sources (subtle hint ;)) and should have something soon.

·
16,661 Posts
S scale is halfway between O and HO, incidentally, and is generally acknowledged to be superior to all other model railroad equipment.
Cough ... COUGH ... Hack ... HACK ... COUGH ...

Jeez ... is it me, or is it getting smokey in here? I think someone is blowing lots of smoke around! :rolleyes: :laugh:

TJ

·
Registered
812 Posts
there is plenty of info on manufactures on wikipedia .org. there has also been several brands in here people in the u.s. are fromiliar with

walthers
lionel
k-line
mantua
tyco
life-like
bachmann
williams
american flyer
mth
aristocraft
lgb
atlas
marx<<<older cheaper brand i wouldn't put ahead of the others. but still would make a good write up.
new bright <<< i would worry about them last, as they have only made 2 electric train sets i know of and for only one year. i believe that was back in 1998

these are all a great start in welcoming the u.s. train market to your site. good luck and hope you take these manufactuers into consideration

ps. these may not all be american manufactuers. but these are brands the american market is fromiliar with.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Am now working to get North American sources (subtle hint ;)) and should have something soon.
This is pretty much what we have (or had) for O gauge / scale manufacturers here in the USA:
EDIT: Maybe sometime in the near future you can make a "what brand do you model / collect" thread in each scale forum :)

·
16,661 Posts
Doug and B&M,

Good mfr list summaries. I especially like the O list.

I think Marx trains died out in the mid 1970's (after sale of Marx to Quaker Oats). Also, I think there was a new (separate) company making tinplate under the name of "Marx Trains", but I'm not sure if they're still around.

Cheers,

TJ

·
Schizophrenic Engineer
3,076 Posts
My collection is small, and it has just evolved over the years. Most of it is just for fun, so that I can leave it out for the grand kids to play with. I had to vote for other because I collect the cheep stuff. Manta, Rivarossi, IHC, and Tyco, and a few Brass from Overland.

·
Community support
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ah! thanks..this thread has seriously saved me a lot of time. Next thing to do now is to add these manufacturers to Toypedia. I'll keep posting my progress...

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Since when did the art of collecting anything necessarily equate to "profit"? Long shot odds there, most times! ;)
Teej, I think you found our point of collective bipolarity.

Model railroading has those who collect. For the more extreme of this camp, ever running a piece is an anathema: any wear reduces it's value.

Model railroading has those who run. To the more extreme of this camp, a piece left on the shelf to admire is a piece wasted.

Each, incidentally, thinks the other is overloaded with money. It's common knowledge it costs a fortune to dedicate a room to your trains and have a layout, much less fund it's construction. Further, one must be wealthy, by necessity, to indulge in collecting all those expensive locomotives with the incorrect shade of orange on the stripe or the numbers printed in the wrong place. So, we're all incredibly wealthy, depending upon where you are standing.

Except that we runners know you collectors somehow make enormous profits by restoring them and putting them on the shelf in their original glory. Go figure.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Only a runner here, HO scale 4 axle locos. I have mostly new stuff with a sprinkle of a little older mixed in. My first, and most favorite, loco is a 1980's Atlas, Kato drive, Alco C425. She's a beast compared to my other ones. I also have Athearn, new Altas, Proto 1k and 2k, Bachmann and Broadway limited Imports. All of them have there +'s and -'s, All of them are fun :thumbsup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't collect brands, if they make a model i want, i buy it. that said, the trend seems to be Bachmann (somehow), >Atlas> Imperial hobby Productions (commuter models)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
AHM/Rivarossi...the poor man's brass.

Agreed. But, I'm a true sucker for a good-looking, good running engine of almost any manufacturer......as long as the price is right.

However, collecting is a relative term that seems to be somehow connected to one's longevity in the model railroading hobby. Never thought of myself as a collector until I opened the closet door............

Bob

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Dont know why I didnt see this before :rolleyes:

I can honestly say that while I dont care which brand I use, I will go out of my way to find what I need in Bachmann. Growing up, I had three sets, two HO and a G scale. One HO was the very first I had and it was a Tyco. Nothing wrong with it, really. The second was a Bachmann that I actually got from a buddy who didnt have much interest in trains. And the G scale was a Big Haulers Thunderbolt Express. When I went to go buy a new set for my kids, I went straight to Bachmann. I dont need super fancy, but I dont want super cheap either. Bachmann seems to be the middle ground........

I also voted for other because we are trying to build up our Micro Machines trains.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Having a limited income, I run bachmann for now.

If I can ever get my HO stuff gone, then I could actually get the lumber needed to make an actual layout.

Kind of stinks that once I get done with running trains, they have to go back in the box :(

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't know how precisely the word collect was intended in the original question. I don't collect, or at least don't think I do. I'm a runner. How well the locomotive works is a major part of the equation for me. That is why my favorite is my Atlas HO GP-40 Master Silver Series. It runs well, quiet, and very slow. Being cost conscious makes me hesitant to try another brand to then be disappointed. My older Athearn Blue Box locomotives run well but are very noisy, something I only noticed once I'd bought the above Atlas. My one Bachmann, chosen by one of my sons, never ran well and now doesn't run at all. So, for now, for me, it's Atlas.

Bob wrote:
However, collecting is a relative term that seems to be somehow connected to one's longevity in the model railroading hobby. Never thought of myself as a collector until I opened the closet door............
That closet door can creep up on you ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all I'm new on here.... I collect Overland brass. I'm actually looking for 3 particular units:
HO scale overland RS-18u PGE, British Columbia Railway, and/or BC Rail
HO scale overland GMD-1 omi#6690.1- 6694.1 in either CN or NAR
HO scale overland SD38-2 omi#55-87010012-1 NAR

Anyone know of any available? If so please don't hesitate to email me at [email protected]
thank you and I look forward to any email.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rich..... Hahaha ya right! I have lots of different brands, Athearn, Bachmann spectrum, Life-Like proto, Atlas, Mantua, Broadway limited, just to name a few. The reason I collect brass is the detail I find is far greater than plastic, the roadnames and loco type I collect are generally only found in brass. I am impressed with the plastic locos they have now compared to when I started the hobby back in the early 80's.

1 - 40 of 248 Posts