Model Train Forum banner

Which brand of model trains do you collect?

• Total voters
201 - 220 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just selected Lionel - don't really collect a particular brand (yet) but sure I will sometime. I selected Lionel because I only have two sets and both are Lionel; well that's not all true, we have a battery operated New Bright, bigger than our O scale, not sure what it is. It was my wife's dads, he only set it up at Christmas. Two reasons he bought it 1) his grandfather worked for the RXR (he was a painter, if you've ever been. In the Omaha depot/museum, he painted the inside, all the artwork too) 2) my FIL worked for PIE trucking and this particular caboose has the PIE logo. Other than that he was not a train guy. They were going to toss it and my wife took claims to it. Still works fine.

·
Registered
7,452 Posts
That "brand" list badly needs to be added to....as it is, it's mostly scales other than H.O., and since H.O. has the biggest market share, there should be some choices in there.....

Just sayin'.....

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
That "brand" list badly needs to be added to....

I would say Old Hobo is correct. The "other" Is a larger amount
than all brands listed add up to.

Athearn and BLI probably make up a large part of "other".

And then there is Atlas.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
With all the brands out there, and if the list is going to be anywhere near complete,
there may have to be two polls.

Maybe three: one for O, one for HO, and for the rest, since that's small in comparison to the top two.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hello, my collection is HO scale. Most of it is bachmann & Rivarossi
All of my passengers are rivarossi. Most of my rolling stock is a mix of what I find in my price range , or what I am able to repair! Lol my diesels are bachmann spectrum line. My steamers are all rivarossi that I re powered with bachmann motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Hello, my collection is HO scale. Most of it is bachmann & Rivarossi
All of my passengers are rivarossi. Most of my rolling stock is a mix of what I find in my price range , or what I am able to repair! Lol my diesels are bachmann spectrum line. My steamers are all rivarossi that I re powered with bachmann motors.

I have two Rivarossi Milwaukee Road passenger cars.....love 'em!

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have two Rivarossi Milwaukee Road passenger cars.....love 'em!

That is how my collection started. I got two rivarossi Milwaukee road cars in rough shape. The paint was junk, and had no trucks. I took the paint off. Got a few trucks. Painted them the Polar Express scheme... fell in love with them a bit. Now the rest is , we history lol

·
Registered
6 Posts
Marx Trains.

I collect O gauge Marx trains like I had growing up. And also because of their durability, simplicity and readily available parts at very affordable prices. Being a sheet metal mechanic by trade, I enjoy fixing the damaged tin pieces.
I had a basic set from Montgomery ward with the tin litho rolling stock powered by an 898 when I was a kid. I have over the years collected other sets including similar sets and gave them to my children. Now the grand kids are of age and are interested, so I am gathering set pieces for them. I'm still new to the later plastic, but am learning. I do have a question if anyone could help. Is there a track-side actuator for the Marx O Scale Marlines Operating Box Car #249319? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I collect O gauge Marx trains like I had growing up. And also because of their durability, simplicity and readily available parts at very affordable prices. Being a sheet metal mechanic by trade, I enjoy fixing the damaged tin pieces.
I had a basic set from Montgomery ward with the tin litho rolling stock powered by an 898 when I was a kid. I have over the years collected other sets including similar sets and gave them to my children. Now the grand kids are of age and are interested, so I am gathering set pieces for them. I'm still new to the later plastic, but am learning. I do have a question if anyone could help. Is there a track-side actuator for the Marx O Scale Marlines Operating Box Car #249319? Thanks!

I can't help you with that one....
I'd post that in the O Gauge section. Much more likely to find the proper help there.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I only started three weeks ago, but I have researched off-and-on through the years. I prefer Bachman because they have a wide choice and I want to keep things compatible. However, If I found what I wanted from a different company, I would get it.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I only started three weeks ago, but I have researched off-and-on through the years. I prefer Bachman because they have a wide choice and I want to keep things compatible. However, If I found what I wanted from a different company, I would get it.
I prefer NCE and Digitrax for the same reason regarding DCC. If you by DCC ready locomotive you can avoid any compatibility issues by adding your own decoders. Personally I mainly buy DCC ready or DC for this vary reason. Adding the decoders is not that difficult.

If running DC then all locomotives made in the last several years should be compatible as long as they will accept your minimum radius.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I have way more Broadway Limited than any other brand. I do not consider myself a collector. Have a friend that is. He seldom runs his trains, keeps them sealed in a jar on the porch so to speak. He uses latex gloves when touching them and has a fit when I just pull mine out of the box. I enjoy my trains. They are not irreplaceable by any means. Some might be hard to get now, but patience and I can find them i would guess.

I just build and design and play, hope it works like I want it to and then scramble like the dickens to make it work if it doesn't. I have more than 70 locomotives, so really none of them get a lot of wear as I use all of them.

My favorite train is the Southern Pacific daylight train with Broadway Limited ALCO PA, I run an ABA with it and it pulls the 20 car train with no problems. I do keep all of my engines in the original boxes and in a dry place. Cars go into large fitted cardborad boxes on occassion. I have an area where I set up trains. Normally the train I am going to be messing with is out 5-6 days. I call it natural weathering, lol.

I would like to see the poll expanded to cover the more current equipment available.

My first train was a Lionel when I was 6 years old. I had it until about 10 years ago when it was destroyed in a fire. I could see me getting involved with another one, but using N scale gives me so much more room to do the things I envision. And the technology to do it pretty easily.

201 - 220 of 248 Posts