Model Train Forum banner

Which brand of model trains do you collect?

• Total voters
221 - 240 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
At the moment, I've collected three buildings from Wal-Mart's line of villages. I've looked at Department 56 and Lemax, but most of their stuff is too expensive.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
I answered this and voted in the poll more than a year ago, but on revisiting it today I had two comments:

1) Maybe it is time to replace this poll with a new one, since this is many years old, and change/add to the list of manufacturers. Several popular current brands, most notably MTH, aren't even listed, a majority of my 140 locos are MTH, and so are those of many of O-Gauge collectors.

2) I don't really collect by manufacturer, just the locos I want. I suspect that is the case with most model train enthusiasts.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Why is there no option for ALL OF THEM! :p
Or how about an option for none of them. I didn't see any of the brands I collect. Zero, zip, nada!

Tangent
Moloco
Wheels of Time
Intermountain
ExactRail
Spring Mill Hobbies
Athearn/Genesis
Atlas
ScaleTrains
Trainworx
Accurail
MDC
Bowser

Good grief, anything worth having is totally missing from the list. Time to create a list for the present day!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
648 Posts
It would seem to me, that when 55+ percent of the group models other, it is time to change the format.

I buy/use/play with Kato and Broadway Limited in N scale. I do not collect them, they are toys to me, to be played with. Unfortunately I don't run the wheels off of them, because I have bought too many of the darned things. Would like to know what others buy, and feel are the quality all of us are looking for. I have been told that Atlas makes a good N scale. Bachman is supposed to be improving. I have a few Bachmans, but without sound. So they never come out to play.

My Hobby Shop owner does not sell Atlas or Bachman. Says he has had too many problems with them. He will not order them.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Does anyone on the site have the power to change this. If not why does it exist, as it does not reflect the majority of the site members.

I would think the purpose of this is to give a new buy the idea of what is best to buy for their layouts.

This does not reflect or give any information that is relevant for me.

C

·
0 Posts
A new poll, or maybe a few polls, could be created that are more up to date and relevant. I believe a poll is limited to only 10 options which makes it difficult for an all scales poll. Such a poll can not adequately cover all brands. In O gauge there is Lionel, MTH, Williams, Atlas, Menards, 3rd Rail, K-Line, Marx and a few others. 10 choices is barely enough for O but leaves no choices for other scales. I suggest a poll for each scale. It would allow enough choices and be more meaningful to those who work in that scale. An N scaler could create a poll listing as many N scales brands as possible, an HO guy does the same for HO, and so on. Anyone can create a poll so it just takes someone to do it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
A new poll, or maybe a few polls, could be created that are more up to date and relevant. I believe a poll is limited to only 10 options which makes it difficult for an all scales poll. Such a poll can not adequately cover all brands. In O gauge there is Lionel, MTH, Williams, Atlas, Menards, 3rd Rail, K-Line, Marx and a few others. 10 choices is barely enough for O but leaves no choices for other scales. I suggest a poll for each scale. It would allow enough choices and be more meaningful to those who work in that scale. An N scaler could create a poll listing as many N scales brands as possible, an HO guy does the same for HO, and so on. Anyone can create a poll so it just takes someone to do it.
For sure. There is not one brand listed in this poll which I have, and I have the following in my collection (and I might have missed one or two:

Athearn
Atlas
Bowser
Broadway Limited
Details West
ExactRail
Fox Valley
Intermountain
Moloco
Robins Rails
Spring Mill Hobbies
Stewart Hobbies
Tangent
Trainworx
Walthers
Wheels of Time

None of the above are in the poll and most are very popular in the US and abroad as well.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Maybe set the poll up by Scale. It seems most of the listed ones are O scale.

I have decided the only manufacturer I am going to use is Kato for N scale. I have close to 30 Broadway limited locomotives, that I will be selling soon. Kato is not as detailed, nor does it have the sound quality of BLI or Scale trains, but it just runs better on my track. No where near as critical on how clean the track is.

I have purchase qui te a few Kato locomotives over the last few months. Have had one set of SD40's that have hour and hours of operation on them. Still run perfect and negotiate my track with very few problems. If I spend a couple of hours cleaning the track and run the BLI they work fine for a couple of days, then start their just stopping dead in the track. My track is too large for me to spend all my time cleaning it just to run their trains. I can leave the track set for months and the Kato's work just fine.

I have had Bachman, BLI, Rapido, Intermountain, Scale Trains and Fox Valley. None of them come close to comparing with Kato for my use.

C

·
0 Posts
I created an O gauge poll back in April. This should take you there:

https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=180318

Starting a new thread and creating a poll is easy. You can have up to 15 options on the poll and you can allow multiple answers.

I suggest that one HO guy start an HO poll and one N guy start an N poll. It's easy and fun. I would do it but I don't know the brands that should be included since I'm not active in either scale.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I am getting ready to head out to Durango and Silverton to ride the Narrow gauge train, next wednesday. Will be there thru the weekend, when I get back I will try to set up an N scale Poll.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Since the poll can't handle enough choices, logically it could be broken up into categories.

The original poll seem to be largely European and old brands. There should be one for current American HO brands, N scale etc. But even my list wouldn't fit onto a 10 choice poll, so as the old song I say tomato, you say tomoto... lets call the whole thing off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m into N-Scale so mine are Kato, Atlas, Lifelike , Micro-Trains and Con-Cor.

In HO, I still have a bunch of Athearn blue box ATSF diesels, freight cars, cabooses and passenger cars. Cass RR 3-truck Heisler and other stuff for my HO layout that never got built.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
hmm .. well, there's a difference between USE and COLLECT ....
I USE mostly geared steam, and that is mostly newer Bachmann, some brass ..
But I COLLECT brass, just sits on the shelf mostly, lol

221 - 240 of 248 Posts