Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the longest time I've had my eye on the DB Class 218 yet no U.S. company (from what I know of) produces them. I'm wondering which companies use 2-rail vs. 3-rail systems since I want to run this train on a U.S. layout. From what I've seen in other discussions, Trix uses the 2-rail system which should work with the layout I have (a 2-rail setup with a DCC NCE controller). Is this correct?

In addition, when it comes to converting the 220 V to 110 V (since this train is probably coming from Europe), I'm also confused about what exactly I'm converting. With the setup I have, the power cord doesn't directly connect to the tracks. Would I need a new controller or some sort of new setup so that the train will run? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Everyone except Märklin makes two-rail DC locomotives. However, Roco, Piko, and Brawa also make three rail versions of some of their models.

You won't be converting anything. European locomotives run just fine on US power. You are using the power from the Powercab, not the wall.

Stick it on the track, program it and run it. Welcome to the world of European model railroading.

Reactions: DB Rails

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everyone except Märklin makes two-rail DC locomotives. However, Roco, Piko, and Brawa also make three rail versions of some of their models.

You won't be converting anything. European locomotives run just fine on US power. You are using the power from the Powercab, not the wall.

Stick it on the track, program it and run it. Welcome to the world of European model railroading.

Thank you! For some reason I always thought it was going to be some sort of complicated conversion, this definitely helps!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
If you were to get a train set that included a power pack, then its the power pack that is set to run on 220v, so you would just need to toss that part only!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts