Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like a little variety and I usually get no more than one or two examples of any model locomotive. I do have an FM Train Master, but it’s a Lionel 8056 from 1980. The 8056 is one of my favorite conventional locos, but I don’t run it too much since it’s a conventional loco. I’ve decided it’s time to get a modern DCS Train Master, but I’m trying to decide if I should get a Railking or a Premier model.

From what I have seen, both are scale models (17” long), both have cab figures, both have smoke. As is generally the case, the premier has more details. The on line images of the rear grill on the premier looks a heck of a lot nicer on the Premier than on the Railkng, but I’m not sure if I’m willing to pay another $150 for a nicer grill.

Also, not sure if I will like the sound. I like diesel rumble and I don’t like blower whine. The real Train Master has a blower, but so does the real H10-44 and my H10-44 model sounds great.

So, I’m looking for some input from anyone that has a recent (last 10 years) MTH Train Master. Do you have a Railking or a Premier? How does it sound? Are you happy with the details? Anything else that might help me decide?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
The bargains out there are the K-Line trainmasters with TMCC. Not uncommon for these to be had for 100 bucks give or take 20 bucks. Not bad detail and I believe they have working fans.
TMCC versions will have an item number that ends in "CC".
Pete

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking for an MTH Train Master Pete. I'll change the title to clarify.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Maybe a stupid question but did you check for any videos on youtube? There are a few although they are older. There is one by
Train Wizard Productions for a Premier Norfolk & Western FM Trainmaster diesel.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a dumb question at all. I listened to some of the MP3s at MTH, but they usually don't have the engines at speed. I followed your suggestion and listened to a few youtube videos. What I heard sounded good to me.

Thanks

·
Admin
43,984 Posts
What road name would this Trainmaster be? I have the MTH 20-20126-1 Reading Trainmaster, it's a late PS/2 model from 2011. It has a great sounding prime mover, there is a little turbo sound, but lots of deep rumble. It's one of the better sounding diesels, at least to me.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m looking for something with a bit of color. Reading or Lackawanna/E-L are top contenders. I usually stick with North East rail roads, but the Wabash colors are so nice that I may stray from my norm. Also considering an FM Demo or Virginian.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Well, I think you would be happy either way. I don't know your budget limits, but it is hard to argue with the value you get with Railking Scale. On the other hand, if you are going to have just one modern model of a loco, its nice to have the best available, and Premier does have noticeably greater detail, etc. But realize that you are paying a lot more for a more-detailed loco that isn't any bigger, doesn't run appreciably better, just has a bit more detai, most of which you won't notice when the loco is running..

·
Admin
43,984 Posts
I think Lee nailed it. If it's a shelf queen, the Premier is probably the way to go. If it's going to run a lot, then the difference will be harder to justify. Since I buy a lot of this stuff used, the difference in price is frequently very small and I lean to the Premier when possible.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What ever I get, it will spend some time on the shelf and some time on the platform. I'm leaning towards Premier, but I have been looking around and it doesn't look like there is a whole lot out there at this time. The Wabash Premier locos (2018V2) look very nice, but they were cancelled. Whichever I get (Railking or Premier) may just boil down to what I see first in colors that I like.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help guys, but it was Mike Wolf that helped the most (forced my hand) with this decision. As I said above, the Wabash paint scheme looks crazy nice, but the 2018V2 production run was cancelled. I thought I might just wait till MTH came out with it again or till I could find a Wabash Premier Trainmaster from the 2012V2 run.

But since there won’t be any more production runs, I decided to get a trainmaster right now. I found this NIB RK Lackawanna powered and dummy pair for a very good price at Ye Olde Train Shoppe in Boyertown, PA and picked it up yesterday.

I like it. I’ve always liked the EL/Lackawanna paint scheme. Engine rumble is excellent. I like the marker lights. You don’t get them on too many RK locos. The smoke is great. Love the side by side exhaust on Fairbanks Morse diesels. I’m thinking about adding smoke and lighted markers to the non-powered unit. If there is one aspect I’m not crazy about it’s that the engine sound is too quiet in relation to the other sounds. If you turn the volume up to get a good rumble, the crew talk and horn is too loud. I think I’ll turn the volume up and the crew talk off for this one.

I’ll probably look around for a nice premier trainmaster, but for now, I have my FM fix.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I believe engine sound can be increased independently from the other sounds if you are controlling it with DCS.

Pete

·
Registered
541 Posts
The bargains out there are the K-Line trainmasters with TMCC. Not uncommon for these to be had for 100 bucks give or take 20 bucks. Not bad detail and I believe they have working fans.
TMCC versions will have an item number that ends in "CC".
Pete
Yes but I agree with Pete. MTH 's are OK, but I have a Milwaukee Road FM in K Line and I would buy another. I don't care about TMCC I run conventional.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I believe engine sound can be increased independently from the other sounds if you are controlling it with DCS.

Pete
Forgot about that. The sound menu can be used to adjust bell, horn, engine and accents volume independent of each other. Thanks for reminding me.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Great looking pair. The Lackawanna scheme is sharp and even better with the black roof. They were work horses for the DL&W. I heard many stories about them from the old timers at work.

I have the Premier version in Lackawanna. It is one of my favorites. I also have a K-Line Trainmaster in PRR with TMCC. I like that one too. A great runner....

Tom

·
Registered
5,043 Posts
I have a TMCC Lackawanna Trainmaster.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like a little variety and I usually get no more than one or two examples of any model locomotive. I do have an FM Train Master, but it’s a Lionel 8056 from 1980. The 8056 is one of my favorite conventional locos, but I don’t run it too much since it’s a conventional loco. I’ve decided it’s time to get a modern DCS Train Master, but I’m trying to decide if I should get a Railking or a Premier model.

From what I have seen, both are scale models (17” long), both have cab figures, both have smoke. As is generally the case, the premier has more details. The on line images of the rear grill on the premier looks a heck of a lot nicer on the Premier than on the Railkng, but I’m not sure if I’m willing to pay another $150 for a nicer grill.

Also, not sure if I will like the sound. I like diesel rumble and I don’t like blower whine. The real Train Master has a blower, but so does the real H10-44 and my H10-44 model sounds great.

So, I’m looking for some input from anyone that has a recent (last 10 years) MTH Train Master. Do you have a Railking or a Premier? How does it sound? Are you happy with the details? Anything else that might help me decide?
Not what you're seeking, since this is a Lionel. But it is my favorite Trainmaster duo with exquisite details like the brakelines, bridge and safety chains, operating fans,and scale dimensions all wrapped up around terrific sounds and smoke in both units Not to mention 24 drivers providing the traction. I could not resist sharing it with you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
[/QUOTE]

I am sorry for the duplicate photo. I have no idea how it happened or how to delete it. I am open to training, but I am a slow learner.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Pete
That is correct. And if you are running conventional, but have access to a dcs layout, you can re-balance the sounds and in most cases, they will stay that way when operated conventionally.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts