Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to buy EZ track for my HO scale train, running the Bachman brand locomotive you see in the picture. Right now the locomotive jumps the track pretty often. Someone suggested I buy larger radius track, but I don't know which radius to buy. I'm not even sure the radius I have already. But I've put a picture of a section of track on here too. If it helps, the locomotive is only pulling 4 or 5 cars. If possible I'd like to buy a complete track including the control box. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

Attachments

·
Registered
903 Posts
Bachmann: "Performs best on 18" radius curves or greater. "
If you have a loop of track set up, you can just measure the center-to-center diameter and divide by 2.
Or look at the part number under the track piece, if there is one; we can look it up for you if necessary.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
OP:

If you don't already have Bachmann EZ track, I'd suggest using Kata Unitrack instead. It's perhaps the best sectional track you can buy.

For curved pieces, you want either
#2-270 (19 1/4" radius)
or
#2-210 (21 5/8" radius).

Both will work fine on a 4x8 table top or sheet of plywood.

If the loco won't run well around these curves, it's something with the loco, not the track.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Is the motor for that locomotive in the tender, and therefore pushing the locomotive?

Reactions: kilowatt62

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Are the wheels in gauge? If you have what you are certain are the minimum curves, 18" radius, there's no reason for the locomotive do derail unless the wheels are not in gauge, or unless the tracks are not mounted on a plane (they are at different angles, kinked, where they join, and this longer-framed steamer gets yawed and rolled sufficiently that it lifts wheel flanges out of the gauge).

·
Registered
769 Posts
Is the motor for that locomotive in the tender, and therefore pushing the locomotive?
The motor is in the tender but there is a drive shaft that delivers power to the engine. So it's tender motored but not tender driven. Common for older engines, I have Tyco, AHM and Bachmann Americans like that.
For the OP Bachmann EZ track should run Bachmann trains. I have a few recommendations (maybe you've already done these).
1. Check the track for rails that are sitting on top the joiner instead of inside it. You should feel it easily with your fingers.
2. Check the wheels of the engine to make sure they are all moving, clean and the right width. Make sure the pilot truck moves freely.
3. Check your curves to see if they are perfect circles or squashed on one dimension.
4. Run the engine around the track a dozen times and mark the location of derailments. See if it's always the same places or different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts