Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
MTH O gauge engines,mongrel rolling stock
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assuming same engines but one burns coal and other oil, who has the hotter fiirebox? I realize that coal type, how coal is spread, drafting etc is a factor. I was curious if there has been studies that say one way or other. AND which gives more miles per load (more bang for the bucks)?
Yes I know apples and oranges.

·
Hobo for Life
7,100 Posts
I have no clue, but would guess it would need the same amount of heat to produce steam. The diffrence would be in amount of material used to produce the heat. And the delivery method. I would assume oil would be easier and faster , plus less messy. Just a guess. Thats why home heating moved to oil from coal. Plus no shoveling, or conveyor belts in the basement.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Interestiing that coal is approximately half of diesel fuel
Yes, coal is a solid with a density slightly heavier than water and diesel is only 0.85 kg/l, which is lighter than water. Therefore, for every liter volume of coal or diesel, you can get 1 kg of coal and only 0.85 kg of diesel. In other words, for each kilogram, you have 1 liter of coal or 1.17 liter of diesel. Also, coal combusts at 2500C while diesel combusts at 210C. Hence, a lot more energy is used to burn coal for energy.

Drats!!! I am sounding like my phys-chem professor!!! Arrrrrrrrrgh!!!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Coal is still mined because the world is a energy economy, for over 150 years now.
The world will "NEVER" have enough oil to suppliment coal.
I do believe Locomotive designers saw diesel was more efficient and easier to ship and store, hence the diesel era when America transitioned to diesel fuels in locomotives.
So sad to see how our current administration is causing weakness in our ecomonic might with their woke agenda.
We do know how to scrub the soot coal produces and we should be "ALL IN" for all kinds of energy to make our nation strong again.
With our government pushing electric vehicles, you are going to see electricity prices going through the roof.
You will not be able to afford to run a refrigerator, let alone air conditioning soon, if we do not rely on coal.
I say that because as of September 2017, there are two new reactors under construction, while 39 reactors have been permanently shut down.
Make no mistake, coal is here to stay if representatives from West Virginia and Tennessee have anything to say about it.
Until Fusion becomes a reality, look to be dependant on all forms of energy unless we revert back to how the Amish Faith works and lives.

·
Admin
47,302 Posts
10 reasons why coal is a good energy source: There are competing opinions on which is the absolutely cheapest source of energy, one being solar. Solar is now ‘cheapest electricity in history’, confirms IEA. Of course, the IEA been steeped in politics, it's pretty hard to take their word at face value. Also, Two thirds of all solar panels are made in China, hardly the place we want to be counting on for our energy needs! The folks pushing solar and wind fail to account for the times that the sun isn't shining or the wind isn't blowing. We need a balanced energy policy, not one that will bankrupt the country.

·
Hobo for Life
7,100 Posts
Because people think coal is dirty. Same reason we haven't built a nuclear plant since the 1970s. The technology and reward is great but people think its an environmental disaster.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Coming back from the hobby shop today, I got stopped by a coal train.
8 SD70 Diesel Union Pacific locomotive with a consist going about 30 miles per hour took 20 minutes to clear the crossing heading into Chicago.
Sky Train Electricity Mode of transport Asphalt

Four Locomotives in front, three in the middle and one on the end.
Yes, coal is still king no matter what the battery hauling petal pushers claim that thier vehicle energy burns clean.
What a bunch of do-do....!!!!!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
As far as coal for energy goes I think coal firing is a great idea if done correctly. If you could go and make coal as clean as natural gas then that’s a fantastic idea. If ol Elon can make those battery banks work like his rockets then solar or wind or hydroelectric would be the way to go in my opinion (I am no tree hugger I promise) but renewable energy is a big thing for the long run. As far as diesels go I wish that the government would let the world get rid of def at least in the off-road applications because they can’t make enough parts to keep that pile of garbage system running and let a diesel run as originally designed. I personally believe in my lifetime I’ll see the end of diesels on the main lines and they’ll all be electric. Now that I’ve said that I believe coal has more btu than bunker c fuel oil but it’s heavier and takes up more volume when crushed than oil does being a liquid and being able to take the shape of the tank. So it’s a catch 22. At the end of the day the railroads burned what was readily available in their territories and if both were available than they probably used their cheapest option

·
Registered
642 Posts
Coal is still mined because the world is a energy economy, for over 150 years now.
The world will "NEVER" have enough oil to suppliment coal.
I do believe Locomotive designers saw diesel was more efficient and easier to ship and store, hence the diesel era when America transitioned to diesel fuels in locomotives.
So sad to see how our current administration is causing weakness in our ecomonic might with their woke agenda.
We do know how to scrub the soot coal produces and we should be "ALL IN" for all kinds of energy to make our nation strong again.
With our government pushing electric vehicles, you are going to see electricity prices going through the roof.
You will not be able to afford to run a refrigerator, let alone air conditioning soon, if we do not rely on coal.
I say that because as of September 2017, there are two new reactors under construction, while 39 reactors have been permanently shut down.
Make no mistake, coal is here to stay if representatives from West Virginia and Tennessee have anything to say about it.
Until Fusion becomes a reality, look to be dependant on all forms of energy unless we revert back to how the Amish Faith works and lives.
I fear this could get too close to politics. Instead of spending money on fossil fuels, we need to be putting that money into renewable energy. Make no mistake, when the price of fossil fuel gets to a certain point, we will see more effort put into wind, water & solar energy.

Reactions: Jscullans

·
Hobo for Life
7,100 Posts
I fear this could get too close to politics. Instead of spending money on fossil fuels, we need to be putting that money into renewable energy. Make no mistake, when the price of fossil fuel gets to a certain point, we will see more effort put into wind, water & solar energy.
Or the converse, when solar , and such becomes cheaper for the masses and dosen't rely on fossil fules then we will have a new energy source. Unfortunately, nuclear is out , but is the most efficient so far. Nothing has come close. Wind is next to useless at the moment, no longevity, not making enough power , peices that aren't recycleable. Solar , as proved in California dosent work in high demand and at night. Battery storage power, while getting better, is large, costly, and also non recyclable. Water disrupts too many things environmentally and for drinking. So, going back to sci fi writing of the 1960s , untill you get a power source that is cheap, readily avaliable and dosen't cause future problems, were stuck with what we got. You also have to not rush into stuff you don't know long term effects of. We, as humans, cause more damages fixing crap that should have just be left as is. I agree, fossil fules are a thing of the past, but that isnt in my lifetime, and isnt near where it needs to be yet.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Please! I worked in the nuclear energy field, and can say it is man's greatest folly, bar none. Cheap? No!, the real costs have been buried, both figuratively and actually by the government. They want the nuclear reactors built and running because they are easily repurposed into producing nuclear weapons. Since we put treaties in place preventing stockpiling of nuclear weapons, the country that can produce them quickly has the upper hand.Sooner or later that cost will rear up it's ugly head. We have already seen the tip of the iceberg at Chernobyl and Japan (not to mention by pure luck just barely missing out on the incomprehensibly largest disaster in world history in our own country at Three Mile Island).
Coal is by far the largest reserve of energy in the world. Shutting down coal as an energy source would decimate the world economy in just a few decades.

·
Hobo for Life
7,100 Posts
If you worked in the industry, you would know like 25 percent of Europe gets power from nuclear plants , and 20 percent of the usa for electricity is from the same, even though we havent built a new plant since the late 60s. History has shown us chernobyl was porly built and maintained. Its safer now then in the past. Thats why Europe is still building plants.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts