Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just read through this list. Some of you have great points and some not so great. But it all reminds me of the history we should be aware of. No one likes change. Period. For good or not so good no one likes it. As model RR er's a great number of us like steam locos. But go back and see what the guys and gals had to say about thoses iron horses. Then how about automobiles. They scared all of the horses so they were no good and wouldn't last. I'm from a steel town. When I was a kid I could wash my car at 10 am and then needed to wash it again before going out on a date due to the pollutants they were on it in eight hours. I was worried about my car not my lungs, because I / we didn't know better. So we got the EPA to fix that and "Scrubbing" those furnaces at the mills lead to the steel companies investing in new mills in Japan and closing the mills in NE Ohio. Car pollution was next and that 98 Olds that got 8 miles per gallon was replaced by cars that get 20 mpg. But the car companies had to be forced into to it. Automatic transmissions would never last, nor would Power Steering, A/C, windshield washers, disc brakes etc. But you can't buy a car without them now.

The point being Electric cars and trucks are here to stay kids. Chevy claims 400 miles on their new pickup. Florida Power and Light is running ads that we will have special rates for home night time charging. FPL has solar farms and yse they do generate when it is cloudy, just not as much. Come on down to FL and lay on the beach on a cloudy day. You will still burn if you don't use sunscreen. Clouds don't stop the panel from working just slow them down.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't disagree that is a hold back for some but the newest battery tech seems to say they can recharge in less than 10 minutes up to 90%. If that is true then pull into WaWa, plug in go to the head and come out, unplug and you have 300+ miles more of charge. That is enough until the next pit stop for your bladder. And make no mistake WaWa and others are going to have charge stations. We have several restaurants here in South FL that have charge stations as well as a lot of the hotels.
In 1935 my grandfather opened a gas station on the East Side of town. There wasn't another for at least five mile in any direction until several years later.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We just sold our 44' motorhome. We were full timers for just under 7 years. There is a market that has just been opened up. Tesla didn't want to see their car ever towed, period, end of story. Something Musk insisted on or so I was told. But there are two pickups that are now coming on the market that advertised they can be flat towed, which is the only way to go. We flat towed a Jeep Grand Cherokee for the better part of the six + years. Never a problem. But an electric would have been ideal. When we went someplace we were in a campground and being a larger coach we are alway hooked up to 50A service and when we weren't we had a 10kw generator that supplied over 50A. From the campsite most trips were short. Less than 100 miles in any one direction because if we were going any farther we just moved the coach not the towed.

An electric car or truck would have been ideal. It could charge while being towed or over night. But alas they were not available until now.

One of those companies can hit a home run. Make a deal with Newell or Prevost or even Newmar. Buy a new coach and we will give you a free toad. On these coaches that sell for $1.5-2.6 mil there is plenty of room in the markup for a $70k truck. There is a good marketing plan there for someone to get into. Once they are seen in the upper end campgrounds the keep up with the Jones will take over.

·
Registered
29 Posts
We had very little trouble with 50A. Most of the time it was due to older circuit breakers not the availability of the electric.

Also we didn't fit in some campgrounds that were really old so by default we were in newer campgrounds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts