Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding the Oil-Ite or self lubricating bronze bushings... 60 years of drying out left the bearings ..well.. dry. Greenberg's mentions they are low maintenance however, would like to have any advise on re-oiling the bushings. Many different approaches include vacuum and heated oil treating. Anyway.. some other lubrication questions as well. Many Thanks Guys! -GT_Rail

PS. Can get involved if one considers the wax left of the old oil, pore structure and surface openings of the material....

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Use 5/10W-20/30 motor oil to lube the whistle motor. Works very well. Do not use WD-40, Lionel Lube, grease, 3 in 1 oil, etc. Motor oil will not dry out or become gummy. And it is cheap.

·
Hobo for Life
6,208 Posts
Servoguy is correct, I had some nosey whistles. After following his advice they are nice and quiet now. Some, the older gunked up ones, needed a bit more oil and some quality running.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use 5/10W-20/30 motor oil to lube the whistle motor. Works very well. Do not use WD-40, Lionel Lube, grease, 3 in 1 oil, etc. Motor oil will not dry out or become gummy. And it is cheap.
Say Servo,
Thanks for the reply & suggestion. My thoughts were how to replenish the phosphor bronze material without going crazy to the point of pressing in new ones. Another thought was if a new technology say nylon, frelon, or unobtainium bushing would eliminate lubrication issues forever. Another thought was spray dry lube, perhaps graphite. Problem with that is it will not be much of a gap filling lube. I can see the motor oil be a pretty good idea. I totally agree on WD, and the other lubes mentioned as not too good for long term. WD is a protectorate, not a lube, and gums up over time.

Too bad that bushing is such a bear to get at, most all other lube points are so easy.

Question #2... What to use on the ball bearings on say a 681 worm drive motor? I see a special lube called ball bearing grease (Victoria).
Always a pleasure to chat with someone in the know.
Thanks, -GT

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Servoguy is correct, I had some nosey whistles. After following his advice they are nice and quiet now. Some, the older gunked up ones, needed a bit more oil and some quality running.
Thanks for the seconding. Would never have thought to go motor oil.
Cheers, -GT

·
Paper Shuffler Extraordinaire
1,611 Posts
As Servoguy says, motor oil works for all needs. Even those little bearings you mentioned. The only place I use grease, and sparingly is the worm and mating spur, and then lithium grease. Only reason, it's a pain to get to, and lithium lasts a long time.

Carl

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting! Silly question... is the little white tubes of new style Lionel (Multi-Purpose Lubricant) Lithium based? The older stuff looks like body grease (brown) the newer has a more white look to it. Used Lithium on my garage door spring, and was white. Looks to last a long time. Thanks:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts