Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
16,666 Posts
Stillakid ...

You are "Da' Man" for looking into this ... please keep us all posted on your findings / results.

I had a quick read through the link. So to get around the "white" problem, they have you create a decal larger than the required white text, with the "outside text" portion filled in with the same color as your required background. I.e., white letters (via their special white paper), surrounded by a black field ... if you're sticking this on a black train.

Sounds reasonable ... but getting that background color just right will take a little computer graphics skill.

Still ... much better option than my shaky hand and fumbling fingers.

Keep us posted!

TJ

PS -- I'm still intrigued about sources for white (or any color, for that matter) dry-rub decals ... T-Man had recently used some of these. In this case, you have to use whatever pre-printed font you can find, but you're only "rubbing on" the letters themselves ... not some external background-field color, too.

T-Man (oh wise one) ... any thoughts here?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Stillakid ...
I'm still intrigued about sources for white (or any color, for that matter) dry-rub decals ... T-Man had recently used some of these. In this case, you have to use whatever pre-printed font you can find, but you're only "rubbing on" the letters themselves ... not some external background-field color, too.

T-Man (oh wise one) ... any thoughts here?
I Got Inspired by the results T-man got... I'll be posting this projects pictures soon, but here is the results..

Final.jpg

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rich, I spent some time playing with all the available fonts in my program. I'm quite positive that any and all lettering/numbering can be duplicated. The hard part will be what TJ brought up. If you like to use a satin/dull finish on your locomotives, the backround will show. I ordered a starter pack from the website I listed. i'm hoping that you can trim closely and minimize the shiny outline. If not, perhaps a light scuffing with some 400 paper might do the trick. I'll keep ya'll posted!:)

·
Yard Master & Research
10,633 Posts
I used a non glaze Mod podge on the numbers. The outline will show, but only at certain angles. I have printed lettering and did an HO caboose. I used a black background but kept the lettering white. Just on white paper.
Keep it up!

·
Yard Master & Research
10,633 Posts
I use it as a sealer.It is for gluing paper on wood. I used it for my paper stone covered trestles. I use the matte finish not the gloss. The wife is a stamper and scrapper. I wonder in her domain to borrow!!! Recently I am collecting acylic paints 5 for a buck at Michaels I'm unstoppable.

·
16,666 Posts
T-Man,

I should say "Thanks!" once again, but I'm wondering if "mega dittos" is the norm, as so many of us here (myself included) keep learning from your depth of know-how. So ... "mega dittos!"

TJ

1 - 11 of 11 Posts