Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering who here, if anyone, is a member of the National Model Railroad Association. If you are a member, what are the benefits you get from it and what do you think of their magazine?

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Their magazine is not bad, I get them as freebies from time to time. As for membership...sigh...I've heard both sides. I'm fully qualified for Master Model Railroader but, with no authentication, I'd have to start over from scratch. Besides, I don't want to be in a club that would have me as a member:laugh:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used to be a member (ending 2002). I didn't get much out of the magazine, but haven't seen a new copy in 5-6 years. Btw, last month quickly went thru about ten of the magazines from 2001-2002 time-frame. Nice looking, but only found one or two articles that I felt were worth keeping. One issue was totally about the election of officers. (BTW, I don't get much out of most of the commercial magazines either.)

For me the biggest advantage was going to the national convention and local meets. I learned a LOT from other members.

Today much of that learning is availabale over the internet. But the national convention/train show is AMAZING!!

As we get back into model railroading (hopefully), will I re-join? Maybe. Probably as part of going to the 2009 National in CT.

Steve

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am getting ready to sign up as a sustaining member (required for businesses). I'm also a member of World's Greatest Hobby. From my perspective it's important to join because we really want to promote the hobby and help it grow as much as possible.

The thing with a lot of the companies and organizations we deal with is that they have a very negative attitude toward internet companies. We have a retail store to satisfy our contractional requirements, but if I had to depend just on store traffic and not the internet, I couldn't afford to be in the business.

I think a lot of hobby store's outrageous markups dissuade people from getting in to the hobby. It's hard to explain to someone why a 6 pack of trees should be $30.00, and I think that the MR Industry's protectionist stance just further supports hobby stores charging so much for items.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts