Model Train Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Ohio Central Systems
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there...

I'm modeling an area served by the former Ohio Central System. They are now part of Genesee & Wyoming, but around here, their locos are still decorated in the old maroon, yellow and gray of the Ohio Central System.

I'm model N scale, and have been trying to find locomotives decorated in Ohio Central. The only N scale Ohio Central I could find (and I'm lucky to have found one still new in the box) is an Atlas Alco C420. I'm stoked to have it... but I need want another diesel locomotive or 2 that are decorated in Ohio Central. It doesn't even have to be based on a prototype.

I'm looking for a person who can paint a locomotive, and apply appropriate decals. CMR Products has a set of locomotive decals for Ohio Central. I just need someone who can do a custom paint & decal job, once I decide what specific brand and engine type I want.

Anyone have recommendations?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Well, if you don't find any "pros" I'll give it a shot for you... gratis. I've done a bit of painting/decaling on my RR and I figure if I can mask off a 1/350 model ship in order to do Measure 32 "dazzle" camo I might be able to do to a decent job of it. That thin upper yellow stripe is going to be a bear though - decal or painted.

Boat Watercraft Vehicle Naval architecture Grey

Wood Naval ship Warship Scale model Metal

Watercraft Boat Vehicle Naval architecture Grey

Boat Watercraft Naval architecture Vehicle Ship

·
Registered
Ohio Central Systems
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those war ships are awesome!

It will be a little while before I'm ready to pull the trigger. I need source a decent locomotive that fits my theme, but doesn't need to be prototypical to the road name...

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
The part that would be the most tricky is the offsets of gray & red. Masking off the radiator intakes, cab windows etc after the gray is applied will be tricky because they are raised detail that you don’t want bleeding into. And you want to paint the gray, then yellow, then red in that order.

And in N scale too.

But I have a reputation to keep; so no surprise that I’ve got a clever solution.

Don’t paint the scheme. No I’m not saying forget the idea. I’m saying do it entirely with decals. Well, paint the gray primer. But use trim film sheets for the yellow nose and red body. And stripes for the offset upper stripe. If Microscale etc do not make that dark red in a full solid sheet it would be pretty easy to print out on a laser jet etc. Then overlay the OC lettering decals once the body color decals are fully set & dry.
That’s the best way in this case and IMO to avoid masking for paint, avoid bleeding colors, and getting straight crisp edges around all those offsets and window columns etc.

·
Registered
Ohio Central Systems
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I ended up buying a DCC & sound equipped Atlas N scale undecorated Dash-8. Based on Spookshow.net, this particular loco is quite good... so I got it even though Ohio Central has never owned a Dash-8. But that's OK with me. It's my rules, lol! $176.96 including tax & shipping from Midwest Model RR. They ship really quickly. Couldn't be happier with them. And so far, I like the sound decoders in Atlas Gold series locos the best, so I'm happy to have another Atlas in the stable.

Also ordered a set of decals from CMR products. $8 shipped. Hopefully, the decals will work with this particular model. The dash-8 is very similar size-wise to the SD40-2, which I believe is the most common Ohio Central primary mover, so I'm fairly confident the decals will work for this project.

Let the fun begin!!

·
Registered
Ohio Central Systems
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So now I'm trying to determine the right colors of maroon yellow and gray. Based on other railroads, I would say that between Wisconsin Central and Erie & Lackawanna, there should be a pretty close match.

Does anyone have a source for color matching for road names? My Google foo is weak today.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I can’t say on exact RR company paint matches. But I do have some other info that may be helpful.

If you already have the decals, use the nose OC letters to match bottles at a LHS if possible. If you can’t find anything super close due to supply chain etc, rustoleum has a few pretty close. I think one is called cabernet.
Same for the yellow. However if the yellow is identical in color to microscale yellow stripes and number sets (standard yellow, not buff), I can confirm Rustoleum “Sunburst” is a 100% match.
The stripes in the OC set probably won’t work on the shell you’re doing, which is why I thought to mention comparing to microscale’s “standard” yellow.

Two other suggestions:
Regardless of application tool (airbrush or rattle can), the best masking material I’ve used is Tamiya brand tape.
Assuming you do primer gray first on the entire shell, mask off for the maroon area (and burnish the tape edges too) but before doing maroon, give the tape edges another light squirt of gray. Once that is dry, then do the maroon. This seals up the tape edge from 99% of bleeding.
In the case of OC’s scheme, I’d do it with cab on for alignment reasons.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I went through the entire DuPont Imron fleet color catalog. Although some are close, there's multiple variations. Unfortunately Imron paint was a lacquer based paint & discontinued due to EPA. Finding a match in today's water based paint can be hard. If you do find a close enough match, check with your local auto parts store to see if they can mix up touch up paint in plastic bottles. If shaken well twice a month, they should last awhile. Then you can decant for air brushing or straight from the bottle if desired.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts