Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a little project here and very happy with it. I got some flashing red LEDs off ebay. These LEDs have the flasher built in to them. I have some inexpensive probably LifeLike crossing lights. They come with a red insert where lights go. The inserts pushed out from the rear real easily. My new
3mm leds fit right in perfectly. No drilling. The flash rate must be a little different from led to led. Every once in awhile they will blink the same but most of the time they are alternating. Maybe 3 or 4 seconds a minute they blink together. Not bad. I am super pleased cause I have less than a buck in it. I need to get more done. I painted the pole and the light housing. I am running it off a 12 volt power supply. Next I will try using one for an end of train light. They flash a little fast for that but might still work. Take a look.
It is just mounted on a block of wood I use to work on things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g66htkhcoEQ&feature=youtu.be

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Looks good Mopac. It does get your attention so anybody watching won't miss them. Can you hook them up to start flashing as the train approaches? That would be cool. Pete

·
Registered
60 Posts
Those look very cool. I would love to put a few sets of them on my layout and set them up so they flash when the train is approching. Nice job

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks guys. Are you saying they are too bright? I do want them to be noticed. With the resistors that came with them they barely lit. No one would even notice them including me. I am clueless on electrics. I just recently learned how not to blow a LED
as fast as I could buy them. These resistors are 680, best I could tell from color chart was the ones that came with LEDs were 460. Wouldn't the lower ohm be brighter? What might dim them some. They really aren't bad unless you look head on to them. Off to the side a bit is awesome. Of coarse real ones are kinda like that also. I have just always thought flashing crossing lights were cool.

As far as getting them to come on at the right time, I have no ideas for that,
I might just have to toggle them on and off from control panel. Starting to wear a few hats here. LOL. Engineer, ground crew, switchman, crossing guard, porter, brakeman.

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
I think they're quite effective, even with the flash rate and brightness. It's easy to forget that most of our at home audiences don't think of such prototype nuances as flash rate and such, they just like working flashers. All my work is with that audience in mind, so these flashers would be a hoot...:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, with the price I am pleased. Your right Shay. A flashing light is a flashing light.
They really add to a layout.

·
Registered
402 Posts
All told I have been looking at $120 for one fully automated crossing. That's 2 Tortoises, the Digitrax board, a pair of gates, and the servos. Ouch. ;)

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And that is for one. Very nice and impressive though. I think these LEDs with built in flashers will find a place in our hobby. Very affordable and easy. Makes a nice addition to layout. They are probably in some engines already.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I did a little project here and very happy with it. I got some flashing red LEDs off ebay. These LEDs have the flasher built in to them. I have some inexpensive probably LifeLike crossing lights. They come with a red insert where lights go. The inserts pushed out from the rear real easily. My new
3mm leds fit right in perfectly. No drilling. The flash rate must be a little different from led to led. Every once in awhile they will blink the same but most of the time they are alternating. Maybe 3 or 4 seconds a minute they blink together. Not bad. I am super pleased cause I have less than a buck in it. I need to get more done. I painted the pole and the light housing. I am running it off a 12 volt power supply. Next I will try using one for an end of train light. They flash a little fast for that but might still work. Take a look.
It is just mounted on a block of wood I use to work on things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g66htkhcoEQ&feature=youtu.be
Do you have a like to the auction for those LEDs? Even if it closed the seller may have more in different auction. For the price of doing that I could add lights to all my crossings. :)

·
Registered
402 Posts
And that is for one. Very nice and impressive though. I think these LEDs with built in flashers will find a place in our hobby. Very affordable and easy. Makes a nice addition to layout. They are probably in some engines already.
I wonder what it would take to do a poor man's pressure switch? That's a wire attached to the bottom of the track, a spring, and then a metal plate on the layout that, when a loco goes by, pushes down and makes contact. That could power the flashing lights.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I really love the lig......SHINEY!!! ooooo pretty lights.....*sits mesmerized by flashing lights*.......wait what were we talking about again? I forgot, the.....SHINEY!!! pretty......*goes back to watching pretty lights* now only if it were possible to somehow incorperate a bell into that thing...mostlikely would need some sort of timer or what ever to sync it to the lights....

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I wonder what it would take to do a poor man's pressure switch? That's a wire attached to the bottom of the track, a spring, and then a metal plate on the layout that, when a loco goes by, pushes down and makes contact. That could power the flashing lights.
I can honestly see a simple (basic) EOTD (FRED???) being made to sit on the rear of a train or even one being placed on a steam train or something like that...I do like the lights and very nice looking :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Very awesome job, I did a similar setup as well, also LEDs that look like there is a live fire going on, just haven't wired them in because I still wring other electrical things first

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Right, I got 50 leds and 50 resistors. At 12 volts, the resistors that come with, the led
just barely lights. Just too dim. At 18 volts they might be fine. I have not tried.
I bought some 680 ohm resistors at radio shack they fire up the leds fine. I did try 2 AA batteries, no resistor, and they were bright. I might do battery operated for an EOT. One AA battery would not light the led. It takes 2.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Right, I got 50 leds and 50 resistors. At 12 volts, the resistors that come with, the led
just barely lights. Just too dim. At 18 volts they might be fine. I have not tried.
I bought some 680 ohm resistors at radio shack they fire up the leds fine. I did try 2 AA batteries, no resistor, and they were bright. I might do battery operated for an EOT.
Sounds good, good find

1 - 20 of 21 Posts