Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have to take the SAT to get in? Is it accredited?

They only have one degree, and they only give it out every four years. I wonder what the course of study includes.

Reactions: bewhole

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Me thinks someone is stirring for a political discussion.
If the electoral college voters eventually get to vote their heart instead of their obligated cast, those positions will become very profitable.

·
Registered
336 Posts
This is just my thoughts on the matter. They should put all of them on unemployment and go back to the old way of voting. Not letting the few out vote the many. Just my thoughts and mine alone.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JEEEEZ, I was just trying to get some laughs or smiles, or guffaws. It's supposed to be a joke.

Reactions: highvoltage

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
This is just my thoughts on the matter. They should put all of them on unemployment and go back to the old way of voting. Not letting the few out vote the many. Just my thoughts and mine alone.
The Electoral College has been around since the late 1700s. Not sure what "the old way of voting" is.

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
Do you have to take the SAT to get in? Is it accredited?

They only have one degree, and they only give it out every four years. I wonder what the course of study includes.
No matter what you study, they give just one degree: A "BS"

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
The Electoral College sets a high bar that irks politicians whose base is in the big cities. But this is by design. Right from the beginning, one reason for the Electoral College was to check the power of big cities and to require some geographic balance in our politics.

The Electoral College is a two-step, democratic process. Each state gets the same number of electoral votes as it has U.S. representatives and senators. This means small states get at least three, and big states get more. To win the White House requires a majority of electoral votes. All this means that no one can win the White House by running up huge support in just one region of the country or in a collection of big cities. Even overwhelming popularity in places like New York and Los Angeles is not enough to win. Middle America gets a say, too.

The reason we are a republic and not a pure democracy.
"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine."

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I heard they have a course titled, "Umbrellas, unlocking the mysteries of opening and closing them."

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The Founding Fathers discussed several ways of governing including the Parliament style of England and having the people elect the House and the House to elect the president. The settled on the Electoral College for the earlier mentioned reasons. As a side note, it wasn't until the 17th Amendment that people elected their Senators instead of the House electing them.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Philosophically speaking, the Dean of the Electoral college is the same entity who thinks we should have two Dakotas. ;)

I'm not necessarily pleased with the Electoral College, Senate, and other non-democratic power-aportionments, but I don't presently have a better method for protecting the interests of smaller-population states.

An important detail that should be mentioned by way of explanation to folks outside of the USA is that each state is permitted to determine how Electoral College votes are to be applied. Currently, 48 of 50 states give all the Electoral College Votes of their states to the Majority winner of that state's popular vote. So, a candidate could win a state with 51% of the popular vote, but they'd still receive 100% of that state's Electoral College votes. This ability to win enough states by a small margin, while losing others by a larger margin is how the current president, and 4 others in US history, were able to lose the popular vote, but acquire the presidency via the Electoral College.

There's alot of interesting twists in US election law that many folks don't realize. For example, there's 3.6 million US citizens in US territories who are subject to Federal law but do not have voting rights in congress or for president.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
15 states have decided to award the winner of the national popular all their electors. This means Candidate A wins the popular vote in a given state but the electors are bound to vote for the national popular vote winner even if he/she won the given state. As you said the each state decides how to apply their electors, eg: In 2016 Trump won Michigan but if Michigan used this system, its electors would have been bound to Clinton because she won the national popular vote. If enough states that could ensure the 270 vote total use this system then the Electoral College is meaningless.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts