Model Train Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Doesn't this kind of nullify the whole idea of the electoral college?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
That is the exact intent of it. The big question is can enough states buy into it that they can reach the magic number of 270. Again, the states have the constitutional authority to determine the rules for their electors and a recent Supreme Court case decided that states can punish "unfaithful electors.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
So if the Electoral College smooths out the voting spikes of the populated areas, why would someone really want to just go with a popular vote winner, if of course you want your party to win no matter the way or means?

·
Registered
743 Posts
So if the Electoral College smooths out the voting spikes of the populated areas, why would someone really want to just go with a popular vote winner, if of course you want your party to win no matter the way or means?
I wondered that myself.
Wikipedia does a pretty good job of explaining the apolitical reasons states would be interested...
...but like everythign else the electoral college has become politicized. I don't think we need to go into that here, but those interested can see the trends by party here:

If a compact of states can effectively eliminate the electoral college then candidates and parties might have some (though I have my doubts) incentive to bring campaign stops and other goodies to those states too.

Darn you Bob for kicking me into this rabbit hole. Now I'm actually interested.
Got some more reading to do...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
the thing has never worked as intended ("wise old men will calm the passions of the impassioned populous and pick the 'right' president after all"). it's high time it goes away. no more battle ground states. no more 2 guys and a tumbleweed deciding the presidential election. imagine the presidential candidates having to actually go to YOUR state and talk. weird huh? if a popular vote is good enough for every other elected position in the US, it certainly should be good enough for the way the president is elected.

final pt -- the supreme court just ruled electors are not independent, which i interpreted to really mean "what's the point of this thing anyway?!" And they are right.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
The biggest negative to the Electoral College, as was pointed out, is all the campaigning is targeted toward the battleground, aka, swing states. If you're a Republican in California you go to the polls pretty much knowing your vote doesn't matter. Same thing for a Democrat in most southern states. The swing state voters determine the outcome. What will become interesting is if more states go from solid red or blue to become new battleground/swing states. Georgia, North Carolina and Arizona seem to be headed in that direction.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I ran across this interesting tidbit:

"Electors cannot vote for a Presidential and Vice Presidential candidate who both hail from an elector’s home state."

So, I suppose this would have to affect the selection of the VP candidate... In other words, if Biden made a VP selection
from Delaware, the VP would lose that states electors. Strange, maybe more to this...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
See dick cheney -- but it was largely dismissed. looks this thing is a creaky old barge of a way to elect a president. the thing has simply never worked as intended and they quickly replaced with another slightly less creaky old barge to fix that mess. it's time to put the thing in the museum.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts