Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Give me the rumble of a naturally aspirated diesel any day. One of the best features of modern model trains is the sound they make. But I’ve bought a number of diesel locos and been disappointed by the dominant sound of a turbocharger or supercharger. I suppose the manufacturers make their sound files as accurate as they can and, in many cases, they use a recording of the actual locomotive model. I know I could change the sound file in the ones I don’t like, but so far, I have been too lazy / too chicken to do that.

I’ve listed some MTH diesels by the model and catalog along with a brief description of their engine sound. Interesting that some of these that do have a turbo or supercharger don’t have the dreaded whine.

Premier Alco PA-1, 2018 V2, Excellent
Railking Alco PA-1, 2002 V1, Good
Railking Alco RS-3 , 2019 V2, 05 V2, 11 V1, Good
Railking Alco C-628, 2008 V2, 14 V2, Excellent
Railking EMD SW-1, 2013 V1 , Good
Railking EMD GP-9, 2015 V2, Very good
Railking EMD E-8 , 2011 V2, Excellent
Premier EMD GP-38 , 2004 V2, Excellent
Premier FM C-Liner , 2006 V1, Very Good
Railking FM H10-44 , 2016 V1, Excellent
Railking Baldwin AS-616 , 2003 V2, 19 UINC, Good
Premier Pioneer Zephyr, 2013 V2 , Excellent
Railking Budd RDC, 2008 V1, Good. Subdued, but then it’s a small diesel.
Premier GE U30C, 2007V1, Too much whine
Railking EMD GP-20, 2015 V1, Too much whine
Premier EMD GP-35, 2018 V2 , Too much whine
Premier EMD SD-40, 2016 V1, Too much whine. Way too much at higher speeds.
Premier EMD F-7, 2016 V1, Not bad at low speeds, but ear piercing at high speeds.

I’d like to know who else could do without the whiny turbo sound. I suspect most. I’d also like to know of any locos I haven’t already listed that have decent (non-turbo) sounds. Particularly interested in the Alco RS-11 and S-2. They have turbos, but my turboed Alcos sound good, so those two might also sound good.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Take a listen to this Siemen's Taurus locomotive starting out:

·
Registered
8,907 Posts
Well, I am not a big fan of turbo whine. I prefer a deep diesel rumble. But I do have a few MTH diesels that have a fairly nifty turbo whine along wiht the diesel sound, and its impressive it in own way.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have a couple of MTH Premier ES44ACs where the turbine sound is very pronounced right from startup. Yes, it can mean ratcheting the volume down but I think it is close to authentic.

On the other hand, older models like the Pioneer Zephyr are much easier on the eardrums. With the Zephyrs I prefer how Lionel rendered the rumble of the Winton diesel but that's just personal preference.

·
Registered
4,570 Posts

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Strange isn't it. My Br.187 does that but not to that extent.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The Taurus "plays a tune" as it accelerates.

I listened to "turbo whine" from the cabs of EMD's for years. SD40's in freight and F40's in passenger!

·
Registered
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still wondering about MTH models of Alco S-2, RS-11 and Baldwin VO1000. Anyone have a recent MTH release that can tell me how they sound? Nice rumble or turbo whine?

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Well, let's be real. That's not turbine whine because that's a straight electric locomotive! Obviously, that's the drive motors. ;)
I was comparing two annoying sounds from different locomotives.

It is from the variable frequency drive. The power of the motors is controlled by changing the frequency of the AC input, and some Siemens engineer had the idea to tune the controller to a musical scale.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts