Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a small switching layout and would like to get a new engine with DCC and non sound. I like sw size. Quality wise whose are best and ready for DCC. I don't want Bachman.
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Just to be on the safe side: You might possibly be one of many who have not followed BMann since they had a poor reputation..If so, they reversed their quality and tend to have great stuff now.
I prefer steam, but have a BMann L&N RS3. I think I paid about $115, w/sound on board.. It has been a delight: running, lights, sound.
Since you want DCC/no sound, there are tons of switchers by every maker, on ebay, and will run about $40-80, if even that much..All brands seem to be pretty good these days.
If you're talking little to no main line, just yard work (+-), I like S4s.
Happy new decade, M

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
The most recent Bachman locomotives that I have seen are well built. I would trust one to the kiddies to play with on the floor and not do to much damage to it. Nice heavy sturdy hand rails. Side trucks with very little fine detail and nice bright colors that kids like.

·
Premium Member
9,787 Posts
Getting back to the OP's question, pretty much all of the manufacturers today make good running switch locomotives....Rapido, BLI, Atlas, Athearn, Walthers, and yes, Bachmann too....

And even though older, Proto2000 locomotives are good as well, although many had cracked gears, but when replaced, they are some of the best runners out there....

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I run N scale and have Kato and Bachmann engines. I like both brands, they just run nice. I paid, I think, $60 for the BMann RS3, DCC without sound, and it's amazing how slowly it will creep. The 4-6-0 by BMann is good too. My Kato PA-1s are awesome!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
So true, so true the HG quote above... I'll never understand how certain people can go out and cause trouble, harm, and death to other Americans with all the great gifts they're afforded, living in this land of plenty...The word 'hobby' is not even a word in all but a couple dozen western countries' languages..
The undercurrent of American life is: Live and Let Live..But, sadly, too many just never get it ! M

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey Ya'll,

years ago I bought two Ingersoll & Rand Allgeier 60 ton Box Cab Diesels as Loco Kits from MDC Roundhouse, here a prototype photo...

Inside the MDC Roundhouse Kits is enough space to equip it with DCC Decoder.

Ya Ingo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts