Model Train Forum banner

Who ran trains today?

11K views 145 replies 24 participants last post by  SF Gal 
#1 ·

#33 ·
I took a break from working on the fiber optics on my backdrop to do a little switching in the main yard. I ran my passenger train on the main also while switching. I am trying to get all my cars to play nice. Looks like an evaluation session is in order soon as some cars are too light, will not freely roll, and 2 are actually too heavy, I think. sigh
Train Vehicle Rolling stock Toy Locomotive

#34 ·

Spent a pleasant afternoon hanging out with "Crusty," hogger extraordinaire. Crusty is
little strange in that he runs the 1:1 scale for a living, and then runs them again in 1:87.
His collection is that of every type of coach and car he has seen in his 26 years on the
high iron.

His layout, I like to think, is of the "old, old school" variety: track on rug.

#35 ·
I tried but failed. I'm in testing for the new layout plenty of bad spots im identifying. Did a pretty shady job in the build mainly due to being pain during the build with the the surgery I had and going to have to redo( should have taken it easy after surgery the hernias poped back out thru the mesh). It's hard to take it easy when your basement floods and your not the type to take it easy. As I like to be doing something most of the time.....

#36 ·
I got 3 locomotives running on the main with loads of multiple cars. I have one boxcar that likes to rock back and forth but never derails. Another 50 ft boxcar derails on occasion after a slope and turn and a caboose that uncouples connected to a flatcar, on occasion, and all depend on speed. Either too fast or too slow the action can happen. With the holidays coming up, I need to fix some track issues, evaluate rolling stock, and measure weights and coupler height...ON ALL MY ROLLING STOCK. I want these 3 train consists running on the mainline without fail so I can tinker in the yards with a forth locomotive, setting up another consist and switching one consist on the mainline for another. If I get good at juggling trains, a fifth passenger train is ready to roll...in fact, I have eight DCC locomotives I can run.
I am also thinking of adding another NCE hand held connection port and handheld for another user to control locomotives for a two person operation. If you have DCC might as well use it!
It was also nice to add this flatcar load I found at Lombard hobbies for $5...it was a impulse buy...

I went to the store to buy a NCE - P515 15 Volt AC 5 Amp Power Supply to replace a MRC transformer I had been using for the same task.
It was a old varible transformer I was getting nervious using as it was over 15 yrs old.
Piece of mind is a issue with me.

#41 ·
Hope you Get Well Soon Kev, we sure enjoy you being a part of the forum...for many years to come!
And Micheal ^^^ love the video ...and the consist of logging loads, did you make the logs yourself?
The chains on the BIG logs are a nice touch.

Today I started working on a few gondola cars I had gotten a while back, from the train show, on the cheap!
One was derailing for no reason.
So running around the track I found the back truck was screwed too tight to the bottom of the car.
Fixed that issue and got both car rolling smooth with metal wheels.
Train Vehicle Sky Rolling stock Track

On a side note about the car loads...
I bought a shoe rack for my dress shoes and the poles were captured in these plastic ends.
I thought it would make for a good gondola load and I used all 4 of them here.
Could be plastic coated wire bundles, plastic tubs, or something?!?!?
Anyway, my lifelike Proto 1000 GP30 was hammering going forward but checking those pesky wheel gears, I did not find any broken or split gears! I determined which truck was causing the hammering and changed out both gears to stop the noise but again both gears looked fine.
Train Rolling stock Vehicle Track Locomotive

I am guessing the teeth sckewed as it ran in that direction too long?
IDK...but thank my insite that I have a "stash" of those gears!
These GP30's are still selling (old stock) on E-bay for $75!!! Amazing!

#42 ·
The logs are plastic on the first three wagons and wood on the last three. All of the loads were included with the wagons, the smaller diameter logs are from a company in the Czech Republic (or whatever they call it this week) and sold to PIKO.

The first three are Roco NOS from the late 80's. Chains were included, but I need to weather them. All of the wagons are 72'. The stakes fold down parallel to the length of the car so different loads can be hauled or unused stanchions stowed. These are all wood floored and there is a more recent model with steel flooring.

#48 ·
I did but no cool videos.
Getting ready for company tomarrow so I made sure nothing derailed or looked hinky.
Wish I had finished the fiber optic stars on all 6 backdrop panels, only half is done.
Back to making cookies! 😉

Reactions: Chops