Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woolworth
Fond memories.

When I was nine years old, my parents and aunts & uncles chipped in at Christmas, to buy me my first train set.
It was purchased from F.W. Woolworth.
The same set was in a drug store window down the street, but was $4 more.
Woolworths-wwsneed.1c.jpg

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
We didn't have a Woolworth's or a Ben Franklin. We had a big Kresge's dime store downtown. Those later became K-Mart.

·
Registered
4,871 Posts
When the Woolworth in our town was closing they has massive discounts. My wife went there almost every day. Not sure we needed what she was buying, but she couldn't resist the bargains.
River Leaf has a nice O gauge model Woolworth, but it's currently on back order. This is a different building kit, but I asked Andre for a Woolworth sign.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Truly a storehouse of warm fuzzy memories, them and McCrory's. The lunch counters were a banquet fit for a king. Tootsie toy cars were a nickel...a quarter could buy you a fleet. They sold parakeets, too.

·
Registered
9,016 Posts
Not to be outdone, our little town sported a local Woolworth knock off... WELLWORTH 5 & 10...
I was always attracted to their candy counter that had a big display of broken
up Hershey's chocolate.

Don

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We had a big Kresge's dime store downtown. Those later became K-Mart.
We had a Kresge's as well.
I believe we called it "The Five & Dime".
It was on a busy downtown corner, and when us kids walked to town, we'd cut through Kresge's instead of walking around the corner... gave us a great excuse to check out all the cool stuff.

·
Premium Member
10,344 Posts
Up here, Kresge’s became K-Mart, Woolworths became Woolco (and subsequently Woolco became Walmart).....

The Woolworth name changed in 1997 to Venator Group, and in 2001 to Foot Locker....

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
When I lived in a suburb of Columbus, Ohio, we lived near the Lane Ave Shopping center and behind the Kresge store was a small computer store (Micro Center). It eventually took over the building that Kresge vacated! When I lived near Mound, MN (78-88) there was always a Ben Franklin store! Mound was a small town devastated when Tonka Toys move manufacturing elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I was getting my teeth straightened in the later 1950s and we had to travel to Sheridan, WY to see the orthodontist, usually monthly. We'd usually get lunch at the F.W. Woolworth "dime store"...either egg salad or ham salad sandwich for me. Then I'd often get to pick out a model airplane to build. Never had a Woolworth in my home town.

Reactions: LateStarter

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I think it was Wanamaker's in Philadelphia had a giant train layout.

·
Registered
444 Posts
We where lucky I guess. We had a Kresge's, W.T. Grant, Newberry's, Woolwirth and a Noah's Ark, Montgumery Wards and Sears and Roebuck and they all had trains at Christmas time. Back then you could find store personell to help you out and they cared about your satisfaction. Today it's hard to find anybody to help you oput.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
We where lucky I guess. We had a Kresge's, W.T. Grant, Newberry's, Woolwirth and a Noah's Ark, Montgumery Wards and Sears and Roebuck and they all had trains at Christmas time. Back then you could find store personell to help you out and they cared about your satisfaction. Today it's hard to find anybody to help you oput.
Not a store like Woolworth's, but I have found very helpful and knowledgeable staff at most Ace Hardware stores. I've had lots of help when asking questions about various home repair projects.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I lived in Manhattan and there was a Woolworth's on the first floor of a building on 86th St and 3rd Ave,(below the 3rd Ave El) with apartments above it and butting up next to it was a W.T. Grant's in the same type of building. Woolworth's had a frozen custard machine that they served in a pilsner glass with a spoon and you could get chocolate or strawberry syrup on it. As a kid it was to die for.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,480 Posts
I remember them in what was the Queen City. Next town over from me. Woolworth had Macys too. It was the place to go shopping before all the Malls went up.

Georgie slept there I have seen the bed, he and his troops roamed right through my backyard on the way to the Watchung mountains to spy the British.
A big battle took place around my area.
I been to where George stood to spy them coming in off Sandy Hook into the NY harbor, and out of NYC into Jersey. Washington Rock. :)
We lost that battle but it helped us win the war but it gave George and a lot of troops to retreat to the mountains.
If George didn't find out about the trap the British set, and the troops left behind didn't put a good fight holding them we all might be flying a different flag. :)
There is an online book detailing what went on around my area, I can't find it right now.
The Battle of Short Hills
For those who have the time,
The wiki explains the battle, but it is not like the online book explaining specific names and spots that are familiar with me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts