Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I am logged on, but don’t scroll or click on anything for an hour or so I get logged out. But that’s not what I am asking about. I assume there is some time feature that logs you out due to inactivity.

Sometimes, I log on and click on a thread only to find I have been logged out. Sometimes after I have been inactive for just a few minutes, I get logged out. Doesn’t happen all the time, but it happens often enough to be a minor annoyance. Do I have to change something in settings & options?

I don’t have this issue with other sites. I’m on a few forums that never log me out automatically even if I’m inactive all day.

I’m running Windows 10 and MS Edge.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I get logged out automatically after about 2 hours of inactivity. It is the same with an iPad or a computer. I assume it is a security setting of this site. This does not happen with other sites I use that have the same host service.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I've been logged in since I joined. The only time I get logged out is a system glitch that shuts my computer down. Then I have to log in again.

Dan

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I get logged out also, although I've never tracked how long I stay on before I get dropped. Another forum (not train related) stays up for days if I let it.

If it's security software, why is this the only forum that logs me out?

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get logged out also, although I've never tracked how long I stay on before I get dropped. Another forum (not train related) stays up for days if I let it.

If it's security software, why is this the only forum that logs me out?
I was wondering the same thing. I’m guessing it’s the way different sites are set up. With MTF, you need to be logged on if you want to see photos. With OGR you can see photos if you are not logged on. With OGF, you can see photos if you are not logged on, but they are small.

·
Administrator
746 Posts
When you sign into the site, do you hit the "Remember Me" check box? If no, make sure you do next time and see if you still get dropped

Kevin

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
If you use a browser or system cleaner that operates at startup or shutdown that does not, or you have not programmed to save your log in passwords at frequented websites, it will erase any log in credentials.

Most browsers have a save function that will save and remember a log in password for a site you tell it to save when you first sign up.

It should offer this function automatically when you sign up on a new web site unless you have disabled it in the options menu.

Many browser and system cleaners today will also save any log in passwords and user names that you tell it to save even from one upgrade to the next.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't been logged out since I checked the remember me box. I general don't ask my browser or individual sites to remember my password, but I guess I will with MTF.

Thanks Kevin.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
If your operating system is Windows 10, this can also be caused by the automatic updates that Microshaft forces upon Windows users.

In many cases, it also resets many security, personal, and website settings that were in effect before the forced update.

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
See my membership date? I have been logged in continuously since. I have logged out exactly once: when they made us upgrade to hypersecure passwords (with more stringent requirements than even my bank; what Vertical Scope is protecting I can't guess).

And FWIW, my OS has been upgraded I don't know how many times during that period.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Yesterday I logged in and checked the box. This morning I am still logged in, issue fixed. It is interesting that MTF is the only site that the keep logged in box needs to be checked. There must be something different in the basic configuration used for MTF that is different from other sites that use VS as the platform.

·
Administrator
746 Posts
Our settings are such that login cookies will expire after 2hrs of inactivity and you'll be signed out, but checking that box turns that feature off.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 20 Posts