Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first got into model RR'in I had no idea there were differnet scales. I just happened to get an N scale set as a gift and made my first layout which I kit bashed not even knowing what a layout was or even knowing that I was kit bashing.
I just took the kit out of the box lost the instructions and had fun.
Now I just like N scale the most because I have worked with it a little and like the size. I have nothing against other scales at all. I hope to someday have done something in all scales out there. For now I am happy with "N". :D

How about you?

:smokin:

Jeff

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Someone gave me an N scale layout, locos, cars, buildings, the whole smack, all I had to do was pick it up. With the purchase of an LGB set at a yard sale last year, that makes three operating scales I have...G, HO, N.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Why N scale? Because I can't find enough American prototype locos and rolling stock in TT scale.

I have around 40 N scale locos and about 200 cars, but I'd love to have trains that are a little bit bigger, and still not HO. So far I have only four European prototype locos and only one American prototype (that doesn't run) in TT scale.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I initially started (again) in N scale, but some of the limitations bothered me, and things that larger scales like HO could offer won me over.

Also, the cost of European N scale was almost similar to HO, even when it came to building kits.

My next N scale project will be a layout under a coffee table or something like that, where the focus is more on watching the trains rather than operations.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I initially started (again) in N scale, but some of the limitations bothered me, and things that larger scales like HO could offer won me over.

Also, the cost of European N scale was almost similar to HO, even when it came to building kits.
If you're into European prototypes, there's plenty of TT scale available. :D

My next N scale project will be a layout under a coffee table or something like that, where the focus is more on watching the trains rather than operations.
I've seen coffee table layouts... layout under glass I call them. I've even thought about doing one. But I'm not sure I like the helicoptor's eye view of the layout.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
TT does look appealing, there seems to be alot available these days. If I wasn't heavily invested into Marklin I think I would try it. Oh heck, I should try it anyway :)

If you feel like experimenting with other scales, give it a shot. It's also refreshing to try something new every once and a while, and it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg to do so.

This site is a endless source of inspiration for all scales: http://carendt.us

Actually, this gives me a good idea for a new forum.. to advertise unused models or equipment that maybe a hassle to put on eBay,etc, such things can always go to a good home, I know I always have extra stuff lying around :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TT scale looks interesting, but N scale is as small as me eyes and fingers can handle. :cool:
I would love to do a G scale layout some day. I just do not have the room for it. If I lived out in the country again I would do it.
I have seen some coffee table layouts in a book or mag or vidio somewhere and they look pretty cool.
I like N scale because I can fit a ton of layout in a small space. I started with a 2' x 4' layout and decided to scrap it and go with a 4' x 8' layout which ended up turning into a 4' x 4' layout. That is almost too big because I can't get it up the basement stairs. :( Whoever built those stairs should be shot. :p

·
Registered
191 Posts
alfalfa; TT scale is bigger than N scale. TT is 1:120, N is 1:160. You're confusing TT with the soon to be released Japanese T scale, which is 1:450.

towrail; If you're serious about trying out TT, I got this great Tillig TT starter set for $70US (plus shipping from New Jersey) from EuroTrain Hobbies.

http://www.eurotrainhobby.com/index_cat.php/cPath/105_106_129

This set has an integrated roadbed track with plastic joiners similar to Kato's Unitrack and Unijoiners. I came with the little blue switcher and three cars as shown, a B'mann brick power pack, piers to make a bridge, and loads for the cars (wagons). Only drawback was the instructions were all in German. Forgive me if I told you all about this in another thread, but to me this was a great buy. Now I'm trying to collect a few American prototypes to run on the track. I'm also thinking about putting a DCC decoder into the little blue switcher.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like "alfalfa" went for N Scale because of being able to put a sizable layout into a small space, 13ft6in x 2ft10in in N Scale by my calculations is the equivelant of 27ft 5ft8ins in HO, something I could never build because of lack of space, I also like the realistic look of N and not being a fanatic on rolling stock super detailing I find it easier to work with.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like "alfalfa" went for N Scale because of being able to put a sizable layout into a small space, 13ft6in x 2ft10in in N Scale by my calculations is the equivelant of 27ft 5ft8ins in HO, something I could never build because of lack of space, I also like the realistic look of N and not being a fanatic on rolling stock super detailing I find it easier to work with.
Cool, I am glad you like N scale.:thumbsup:I started out with a 2'X4' space and that grew to 4'X4'
I was going to do 8'X4' but that was way too big.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked N scale because when I started the hobby, the room I was using was only 8 feet wide. My layout is 3ft 6in X 7ft and not very complete. Now I have an entire basement to fill.......if the wife would let me. I did find that I do like N scale based on fitting a lot of stuff in a smaller area.

Jim

·
Registered
42 Posts
im glad there is an n scale or i wouldnt own any trains! you guys with all the room are fortunate. dont waste any of that space!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I started my model train hobby with N scale. Back then, I didn't have much space for my layout and one of the advantages of N scale is that they are a good size for hobbyists who don't have much room and/or those who love expansive scenery.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nnnnnnnn...

My Dad had a basement-filling O scale layout in our house when I was a kid. My stepfather is one of the founders of Aberfoyle Junction Model Railway, just outside of Guelph, Ontario. I'm the rebel in my family--I had an N scale layout on a 4' x 3' slide-out tray under my bed as a kid.

I recently reclaimed a shed out back---and spent the summer insulating, ventilating, wall covering and painting the 12' x 10' structure. Not being a carpenter, I made some mistakes, but I learned a lot!

I used some layout software to map out an HO layout, figuring that I would probably go with that--then I started playing with N scale. I was amazed at just how much more I could do with the same space, and since I already had experience with N, my decision was made.

I'm deep into 1:160 construction now and am loving it. I look at HO in local hobby shops and think, "but it's so big!"

My next project will be a G scale layout on a platform around the deck, with some gondolas for snacks, drinks etc. and I'd love to have a live-steamer run around the backyard!

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I'm deep into 1:160 construction now and am loving it. I look at HO in local hobby shops and think, "but it's so big!"
*LOL* I run S Scale and have the same problem with all the O scale displays I see at train shows!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts