Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course not today. But in the steam era in England there appears to be no headlight on these engines...I occasionally see lanterns on their pilot beam. But no headlight ! Why ? You're not going to tell me they didn't run at night back then. They had to have had dynamos for the coach lights ! Also, why on the smaller locos were the cabs so short, front to back ? Am I to believe that in winter the cabs were so warm or hot from the back head and firebox heat that they didn't need deeper cabs ? These two things have always puzzled me....And it's not like they didn't see pix/movies of US steam back then..Thanks, M

C

·
0 Posts
I don't know the answer but I've also wondered about the lights and the cab. My guess is that they mounted lanterns on the front so people crossing the track could see the train coming. :dunno:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Funny, no one has the true explanation yet ! I mean how did the engineer ('engine driver' in England,I think) and/or fireman see up ahead at night ? What if a bridge had collapsed just 17 min. ago with no transceivers in the cab ? What if 20 cows were on the track at 2 AM ? Cabs, shallow depth-wise, what did they do when it snowed or rained heavily on those small locos (the ones that had the portholes on the cab front), mainline or in marshaling yards ? I'll venture to say that not even the Flying Scotsman has a headlight..And, ironically, the train is an English invention !! :dunno:

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
And probably pretty slow at that.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
on british rails it simply wasn't needed , they ran station to station between fenced lines mostly
OK. I might accept that. But it's not as if these lines didn't run past rock cliffs, or come up to a fallen tree or a lorry, horse drawn wagon, postman on a bike at pre-dawn, a mule stuck on the tracks at a grade crossing at night..I mean they had to have had grade crossings. Or, where they all those small brick bridges over the line ? I don't know..And the stubby cabs in the snow and rain. I mean how much more would it have taken to add a headlight and a longer cab ? %*@%^ does happen ! :dunno: American trains had both from the get go..(OK, maybe not that first B&O stuff)..

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
rock cliffs, fallen tree or a lorry, horse drawn wagon, postman on a bike at pre-dawn, a mule stuck on the tracks at a grade crossing at night..

true, but that was the exception, not the rule ..
and a dim headlight wouldn't involve much reduction in speed anyways ..

and besides, they weren't supposed to be there anyways, lol

a slightly different way of thinking ..

·
Registered
182 Posts
In Europe the Lightning rules of the Railways are different to US American RailRoads.

In the early Steam Era, each Railway Company used their own rules.

In later years the companies became mostly state Railways than the State created some specific guidelines to each State Railway.

Great Britain is different to the Continental European Nations, sure it was the Motherland of the Railways but each Nation used their own railway Laws and Rules.

In Germany as example, the Imperial Kingdom gave own Instructions for Double Track Mainlines and Branchlines.

On the Front of any Loco or railcar it was enough to have in Minimum 1 Lantern mounted above the smokebox or below the smokestack better are two.

The headlight Position in addition two the other one or two lower Lanterns was only valid Single Track Lines.
This rule had been replaced in 1937 by Establishment of the DR - Deutsche Reichsbahn.

Before 1910 it gave differences in the shown lights, by Special Causes. All Front lanterns were Used for signalling, too.

If a Train moved by double track onto wrong side, than in the front needed to be displayed a red light on the lower position onto the Center beam.

If a Second Train moved into Short Distance to the First Train in Same Signal Block, than the Headlight of the First Train needed to Show a Green light, the Last Train needed to show a white light.

The end of Train devices had Special rules in addition.

In the Year of 1937 the DR made bigger changes to all Existing rules of the Railways in germany.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts