Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the Holiday season in full swing I was thinking back to when I got my first Lionel train set, and i got to thinking about several things. The other week I was staring at my layout and was making some plans for what I want to do after the holiday season. I was thinking "it would be nice if I had more room for lager curves." I got to thinking that if I modeled HO or N scale trains I could do so much more and in the space I currently have. But that thought only lasted a short while as I realized how much I love my O gauge trains. I had a large HO set when I was a kid. It was my first real electric train set, but I realize now I was too young for it. I remember the set had two diesel engines, one was a Santa Fe and the other a Union Pacific. I don't remember what they were but I remember what they look like. I also had one little steam engine. It was a Pennsy B6 with the slope back tender. The set had a bunch of freight cars and buildings and scenery. It really was a nice set from what I remember, but I also remember how easily they broke, and they didn't run very well. As a kid I couldn't "play" with those trains. Then my mom bought me A Lionel Christmas on VHS. I fell in love with those trains I saw on that video, and it was a major factor in some of the things I have purchased. I remember wanting a Lionel train set so bad and one Christmas that wish came true. The engine was so big to me it was heavy and I could play with it. I got two more Lionel sets as a kid along with my dad's old O gauge trains but they didn't run, and I loved them so much. I still have them and they too influenced me when I got back into the hobby. However I almost went in a different direction. My old apartment was small and I thought a few years ago when I wanted to get back into trains that I would not have enough space for my old O gauge sets. For a few years I wanted to get back into trains but never did until this past Christmas. For those few years before I got back into the hobby I had contemplated buying some HO trains because I thought I had enough space for them. But I remembered those Ho trains I had when I was a kid and I could never bring myself to buy another one. Now that I am back into O gauge I think how glad I am to have stuck with O gauge and didn't go a different route. After going though that in my head I got to wondering why others decided on O gauge. Was it because those were your first trains or some other reason. For me I love the feel and the look and how much detail there is on models now. Sometimes when I am running my trains or working on my layout I just sit in my chair and hold and engine or piece of rolling stock because I love the feel, Whether it be a prewar piece, a postwar piece, new MTH or Lionel I Love all O gauge. So enough of my rambling why do you choose to model O gauge trains.

Keaton.

·
Admin
44,768 Posts
Why not? ;)

Truthfully, I choose it because they're large enough to easily work on, they have cool features, and I had O-gauge as a kid. I've done a bit of work on HO, and it's pretty fiddly to maintain, and forget about the smaller scales!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Couple reasons for me!

1) It's what I had as a kid.

2) As I get older the old eyes don't get better.

There you go! :)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Keaton,
I chose O because:
-Easy to work with.
-You can add more visible details.(this is the most important feature for me)
-Any mechanical modification can be achieved.
-Heavy engines do not need TT ( I am 2 rails)
-Room inside the engines for anything, Geeps are little restricted.
-If you kick your layout by mistake you don't care about derailments.

Andre.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hello, I like Marx trains because I have had them most my life and you don't need a big layout to enjoy them and they are easy to fix when broken. Marx trains were made to last a life time to me they have lasted a life time. To me Marx trains were the tuffest toy trains ever made and made in USA. Thanks longbow57ca.

·
Hobo for Life
6,208 Posts
OK agreed with all above:) I had them as a child and now my ape like hands would never be able to work on smaller stuff. So, sentimental and practical. Besides there heavy and last forever! Speaking of lasting forever, you still got those old trains? If your a little bit handy, we can walk you through fixing them up:)

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
as a kid I had ho in our damp basement set up 2 4x8 plywood on saw horses. spent more time trying to make it run, keep it running than I ever did playing with it.

one day I found my older brothers old lionel O. 2025 with some cars, track, transformer under the cellar steps.

trains were covered with mold, track was rust to the point of scaley, switches total mess.
the cardboard box had rotted away and everything laid in a pile.

3-4 days later it was on the table running. IT'S STILL RUNNING. and that was 50 years ago.

i'm :sold: on O

·
Registered
57 Posts
The RTR Lionel set was what I got for our son when he was 4. Now it has exploded into a whole new world for us with a larger layout underway. Nick

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
Why not? ;)

Truthfully, I choose it because they're large enough to easily work on, they have cool features, and I had O-gauge as a kid. I've done a bit of work on HO, and it's pretty fiddly to maintain, and forget about the smaller scales!
I could not say it better, so I won't.

·
Registered
194 Posts
AS a child I had a small N scale layout that my father built for me. One day a year or so later a friend of my father brings by an old Lionel 2055 with a whistle tender and a couple of cars and caboose. I found some old track and got it running. Wow! It was a machine that smelled with ozone, smoked, make noise, and I was hooked.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I think the question should be why not o gauge!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
O Gauge is the gauge I started with. My first train was a Lionel and there is a nostalgic value to O Gauge trains. That said, I have never been very impressed with smaller gauges. Oh, there are nice layouts and they are a more convenient in size - but - There is something about the sight and sound of an O Gauge train thundering down the tracks that can't be replicated with the quiet hum of an HO train. In addition, now that I am into scale models and run scale trains, especially steam trains, The beauty, detail and raw power of a train engine is best shown in larger scales.

P

·
0 Posts
When I was a kid, O-Gauge was 90% of this hobby. You were a Lionel kid or you were out of step with most of our hobby. I never looked at other choices. When HO came along, I really resented it as it was taking away from what I knew and loved.

Over the years, I still feel strongly that O-Gauge is the best choice.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Actually, you will find most HO layouts use curves as large if not larger than many O layouts (because that is more in "scale"), but you DO get more scenics per square foot. The problem with HO is that the track is missing the center rail.:)

I think a big plus with O is the operating cars and accessories. I personally appreciate the detail on good quality 1:43 car/truck/bus models. You can better see the detail on figures, as well. Best of all, O looks more natural under a Christmas tree.

·
Registered
111 Posts
N gauge, too small to see, something for those who like to look at railroads from an airplane view. Not for everyone, not for me.
HO better, better for small spaces, cool stuff available.
O gauge, 3 rail offers a great option for play value and scale if you chose to do so. And you can see it better.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I grew up with Lionel,Marx and Marklin HO (My Dad's). I dabbled in N and American HO in the late 60's early 70's before I discovered a plentiful supply of used Lionel on the secondhand market. I stay in O gauge because of the huge amount of modern (Brass and non-brass) steam locomotives offered. Reliability and ease of maintenance are also big factors. The price is about the same as HO nowadays so you get much more bang for the buck. The only other model railroad systems in the smaller scales that can approach O scale for reliability are Marklin HO and Kato/Tomix N scale. The larger scales G,One gauge are very reliable but there's a very limited selection of modern US steam and it's crazy expensive.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Best of both worlds!

I'm still an HO guy but by stumbling over a 2-6-4 and a 4-6-4 within six months has changed my appreciation for O scale..plus you can't put an HO train under a Christmas Tree unless its a very small tree...which is not in my wife's plans for the Holidays...so HO HO HO is now O O O!!:thumbsup::laugh:

·
Registered
695 Posts
Two excellent reasons - kids and cats. O stands up to both very well, though if my stupid cat keeps testing that theory I'm going to lock him in the laundry room until after New Years!!! lol

But seriously, it's the perfect scale for under the tree, it's widely available and, like many have already said, it's the size I had as a child.

C

·
0 Posts
Over the years I have built layouts in N, HO, 3 rail O and G. They are all fun and each has it's good and bad qualities. I am building in O now because I had an N scale layout but have an inherited condition where my hands shake (not a serious disease, just annoying) and I find it too difficult to work on N. G is too large for my space but O gauge is just right.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts