Model Train Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I went to the postal service to complain again about my packages { Lost count how many times this year over 25 }- -Today - I felt sorry for the guys and gals - their EQ is in bad shape and the photos of home depot buckets collecting water from the ceiling tells most of the story - Yes it has been over a year and Washington DC won't pay to have a new roof put on the building - I feel it is train related for the reason we all ship our wonderful Antiques through the mail - this is just half the issues

The ceiling has been like this over a year - I go to the postal service every few days for my business - It is a crying shame our country is falling a part

I have had to have DHL - Fed Ex and UPS start handling my Antique railroad clocks - watches and Antique trains - they are family items that I restore

So next time you complain about your boxes - just ask the postal workers what is going on - you can not miss the fact the ceiling has been leaking well over a year

I told the guys at the Postal office I would take this to Social Media - I think it is time we stick up for them - I can see now - why they are unhappy and things happen - most of it they can not control - so those of you who are political active - lend a hand on this pass the photos around - the machines are getting old - which is part of the issue of our packages getting torn up. { I do know some people on peebay can not pack } Point things are getting worst in this country - not better

Lastly think about the mold - mold spores getting on our packages - Health risk ? Yep

Flooring Gas Household cleaning supply Engineering Machine
Interior design Building Gas Ceiling Flooring

Cloud Plant Sky Building Facade

·
Admin
47,884 Posts
"Florida governor and presidential hopeful Ron DeSantis flew 50 undocumented migrants to Martha's Vineyard to protest the Biden administration's immigration policies. "

Why not let them fix the roof?
Maybe because it's not the state's job?

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Yup...it's Federal property and DeJoy has once again, in true MAGA fashion shown he is inept as can be! How/why he is still the Postmaster General is beyond comprehension.
I live near a post office that's been asking for three extra delivery trucks since 2017.
Go figure...

The office of postmaster general is filled differently from cabinet positions. If it were filled by appointment of the incoming president, like say secretary of defense, labor, interior, Etc. Etc. Mr. Dejoy would be long gone. The postmaster general is appointed by a board of governors, not by the president of the US, like everybody else. The present board of governors are MAGA Republicans, so don't hold your breath on getting those three extra delivery trucks, or anything else that would increase efficiency, or speed up mail service. That might mean that mail in ballots might get through, horrors.

Traction Fan

·
Railroad Tycoon
25,839 Posts
Looks like MacGyver fixed it up nice for them. :)
They ought to put a patent on the water retention they made up.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I guess it really comes down to you and me Americans -- do we accept the us postal service as an necessary good that's going to lose money no matter what because well we want the mail we do get and we want it now and that includes the addresses in the rarely treaded back roads as well as those off the super highway. Or do we try to bash it into an at worst break even quasi private company that may not service every address? I favor the former at least conceptually myself. But to me if we want that then we got the make the noise to get it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I guess it really comes down to you and me Americans
Agreed - year after year I hear America looks like a third world country and nothing changes { holding my personal thoughts back } Some new "----" gets in office - Billions spent and wasted trying to change other cultures / rebuilding other countries around the world - I see it this way - our country is turning into " ---- " If you were in another country looking in - would you want what we have ? - I don't see anything to be proud of any more " There is no more made in America - Symbol's that use to be on all our old products - when people had pride in our flag - , yah, its better then nothing - yes - we get upset at condition of our packages - I see it is not the postal workers fault now / and bad Amazon style packing / - it is outdated low tech EQ ------ Now I see it as it is - would you want to show up to work with wet ceilings and mold growing { Black Mold Can cause problems / health issues / long term } I see it now as low morale - show up to work get paid and go home - no offence to anyone but section 8 housing here in Florida is well maintained / Government Program / You would not know it is section 8 ,------- now the people who work for a living and put up with our complaints having to work in those conditions is uncalled for - plain and simple, many of them served in the Military

I do think the guy in charge at postal office needs to go / it is not the supreme court and not something our founding fathers would have stood for / after all - a little history about our first post marks / Might that have been a guy called Ben Franklin ? You will have to google it.

I have to get up early - so that is my 2 cents for tonight 😁

·
Premium Member
14,044 Posts
There is no more made in America
That’s because profit is king…..the huge corporations, and smaller ones too, went overseas for cheaper labor and higher profits…

Chasing money to the detriment of everything else will eventually bring anything, and anyone, down….

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That’s because profit is king
Agree 100% - It is early and I was up late working on a project a Sunset Model Brass train - I was going to turn in early and had a " Howard Hughes moment" { The Billionaire who would get up in the middle of the night and work, one of my fav guys } anyways - Making the post under general discussion this morning about Quality and China Made - moving back to what you said : the pandemic should have taught us all - that if China had gone down from this Virus or worst a different Virus which could happen { The Small Pox - Monkey Virus just example of on going issues } { Complete failure of supply chain } - we have no tooling left { other then what some of us have in our shops } this country has no real way to make - supply or care for the mass's - this postal office issue should be a final wake up call to all of us - Sometimes Canada and the United States don't see eye to eye, if we don't start taking care of things, set aside political and cultural differences , none of us are going to make it, You stand correct on your statements - Well said and to the point - We both have strong opinion's on things coming from different worlds { different view points } - but seem to agree on common matters that effect all of us - One thing we have in common is : We all have kids and grandkids - it is not looking good for them

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Well there's been a school of thought that the postal service should be run like a company and make or at least break even. And some also support a scaled back service with the idea the privates (ups etc) would make up the lost service somehow. And so I think that's what the guy in there now claims to be doing. But I think the USPS should service every address because if you change that there's a whole slew of folks that won't get mail anymore or pay exorbitant fees to do so. And to me it just seems like a universal mail service is just something countries do. Heck the even Romans had a mail delivery service! Anyway I still get my most important mail in the mail box. I also get a lot of junk mail there too. It's true there's some electronic mail now that used to be mailed to me. But it's hard to imagine a complete shift to it happening, plus it has its own security issues as well. Unfortunately that does kinda put the USPS in a gray area but I still think it should functional well and that takes money.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts
Canada Post is doing a fine job, letters and parcels get delivered in an appropriate time frame….slower delivery of packages from the U.S. but that tends to be a customs delay more than anything….
Old_Hobo;

Glad to hear our northern neighbors are doing it right. Yes, customs can be a problem, so can the cost of international mail. I sent a few N-scale train cars to a modeler in Canada, and was flabbergasted at the postage. Not Canada's fault. It was the US Postal service charging about triple what it would cost to mail the same package within the US. o_O

Traction Fan

·
Registered
620 Posts
That’s because profit is king…..the huge corporations, and smaller ones too, went overseas for cheaper labor and higher profits…

Chasing money to the detriment of everything else will eventually bring anything, and anyone, down….
Just to be fair, there is another reason for companies having gone off-shore besides profit. I don't know about in Canada, but in the US, one of the driving forces was the public's demand for lower prices. As a people, we suffer from a cognitive dissonance in demanding higher wages for the goods we make and lower prices for the goods we buy. It appears to me that too many people seem to not understand the basics of economics and how things get priced.

An example of this that is relative to our hobby is the loss of local hobby shops. Many people would go to the local hobby shop for all sorts of information and help, then buy on-line to save money. They do not understand that it costs money to have a person there to answer questions and provide assistance. The store gets the money through the sale of merchandise. The way the on-line stores can sell so cheap is to not provide the service the local stores do.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.