Model Train Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I guess it really comes down to you and me Americans -- do we accept the us postal service as an necessary good that's going to lose money no matter what because well we want the mail we do get and we want it now and that includes the addresses in the rarely treaded back roads as well as those off the super highway. Or do we try to bash it into an at worst break even quasi private company that may not service every address? I favor the former at least conceptually myself. But to me if we want that then we got the make the noise to get it.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Well there's been a school of thought that the postal service should be run like a company and make or at least break even. And some also support a scaled back service with the idea the privates (ups etc) would make up the lost service somehow. And so I think that's what the guy in there now claims to be doing. But I think the USPS should service every address because if you change that there's a whole slew of folks that won't get mail anymore or pay exorbitant fees to do so. And to me it just seems like a universal mail service is just something countries do. Heck the even Romans had a mail delivery service! Anyway I still get my most important mail in the mail box. I also get a lot of junk mail there too. It's true there's some electronic mail now that used to be mailed to me. But it's hard to imagine a complete shift to it happening, plus it has its own security issues as well. Unfortunately that does kinda put the USPS in a gray area but I still think it should functional well and that takes money.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I agree with him because privatization has failed principally because there's no business mod to support every address, there's no market there for that. There's specialty sub markets for packages and so on but general mail delivery for all. Nope. So it's going to lose money and people can essentially vote on it's funding if it's govt service. Seems ok to me.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I'm not even sure I agree with this. By what criteria do you judge it? After all or for example, medicare has like a 3% overhead rate. This compares with a more typical rate of around 20% private insurance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.