Model Train Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
I guess it really comes down to you and me Americans -- do we accept the us postal service as an necessary good that's going to lose money no matter what because well we want the mail we do get and we want it now and that includes the addresses in the rarely treaded back roads as well as those off the super highway. Or do we try to bash it into an at worst break even quasi private company that may not service every address? I favor the former at least conceptually myself. But to me if we want that then we got the make the noise to get it.
I think we need to move the Post Office back into being a real department of the federal government with civil service employees and a direct allocation from the budget. My desire is to make it a working system that can deliver letters and packages in a reasonable time and at a reasonable cost. Also, I like our Constitution and want to obey it. It specifically give Congress the authority to create post offices and post roads. I may be weird, but I interpret this as giving them the duty to run the post office not to create it as a quasi-private company. It is debatable that the postal service should be profitable or even charge for its services other than tax.

·
Admin
47,883 Posts
I think we need to move the Post Office back into being a real department of the federal government with civil service employees and a direct allocation from the budget. My desire is to make it a working system that can deliver letters and packages in a reasonable time and at a reasonable cost.
Steve, giving it to the government will NOT result in reasonable cost delivery! :p:p

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I agree with him because privatization has failed principally because there's no business mod to support every address, there's no market there for that. There's specialty sub markets for packages and so on but general mail delivery for all. Nope. So it's going to lose money and people can essentially vote on it's funding if it's govt service. Seems ok to me.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I'm not even sure I agree with this. By what criteria do you judge it? After all or for example, medicare has like a 3% overhead rate. This compares with a more typical rate of around 20% private insurance.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm not even sure I agree with this. By what criteria do you judge it? After all or for example, medicare has like a 3% overhead rate. This compares with a more typical rate of around 20% private insurance.
Administrative costs are only one measure of efficiency, not the only measure. For example, speed of service counts too. How quickly do the vendors get their payment?

More importantly, what is efficiency for the postal service? How long should it take to get a letter across town or across the country? What about a small package? Or a larger package? How much should it cost in direct costs and how much do we allow the government to give it in subsidies?

This is similar to the questions for Amtrak. How much should a ticket cost per mile? How often should a train be scheduled? How many passengers should we make sure it carries per run? And how much should we give it for subsidies?

Amtrak and the Post Office are similar right now. Both are quasi-governmental agencies with profit as a motive. And both require federal subsidies to stay around. And we, as a country, need to figure out how we want to proceed with them - keep them, privatize them completely, or make them full regular federal agencies.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
I have shipped literally thousands of parcels with USPS over the past several years. I have never had even one damaged or lost package. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen on occasion, but my experience is that such instances are very few and far between. My feeling is that 99.9% of all problems are caused by improper packaging. Don’t you just love it when you buy an item and the seller ships it in a carton suitable to protect an automobile transmission, but uses almost zero packing materials to keep the fragile item from banging around inside? It’s easy to blame the carriers, but my experience is that it’s ALL IN THE PACKING!

Hope you are all doing well,

Allen Drucker

·
Registered
66 Posts
I went to the postal service to complain again about my packages { Lost count how many times this year over 25 }- -Today - I felt sorry for the guys and gals - their EQ is in bad shape and the photos of home depot buckets collecting water from the ceiling tells most of the story - Yes it has been over a year and Washington DC won't pay to have a new roof put on the building - I feel it is train related for the reason we all ship our wonderful Antiques through the mail - this is just half the issues

The ceiling has been like this over a year - I go to the postal service every few days for my business - It is a crying shame our country is falling a part

I have had to have DHL - Fed Ex and UPS start handling my Antique railroad clocks - watches and Antique trains - they are family items that I restore

So next time you complain about your boxes - just ask the postal workers what is going on - you can not miss the fact the ceiling has been leaking well over a year

I told the guys at the Postal office I would take this to Social Media - I think it is time we stick up for them - I can see now - why they are unhappy and things happen - most of it they can not control - so those of you who are political active - lend a hand on this pass the photos around - the machines are getting old - which is part of the issue of our packages getting torn up. { I do know some people on peebay can not pack } Point things are getting worst in this country - not better

Lastly think about the mold - mold spores getting on our packages - Health risk ? Yep View attachment 589588 branch
Wow, that looks bad, what does it look like during the holiday Christmas rush. That building looks fairly new compared to my Eau Gallie branch. Drive down to the Suntree branch.

·
Railroad Tycoon
25,839 Posts
Well, don’t just threaten….nuke it then….enough people have already seen it….

Or lock the thread….your choice…. 😁
Or give you a 3 day vacation from the site. :cool:

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.