Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have not been on for a while. Why are there so many popup ads. Some of them I can’t delete I have to close down the forum. I have my popup blocker on but it does not help.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,975 Posts
I see not one, I am running an ad blocker.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,975 Posts

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I have no issues with popups using a computer with Firefox and Adblock+, however trying to post with an iPad has now become difficult. I do not mind the occaisional popup but there is at least one that cannot be cleared. it requires closing the MTF window and reopening it. Not good when in the middle of adding pictures.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
With a judicious choice of window width, all the ads on the side disappear. But be careful as there is a width that will make them appear in pop-ups.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I keep getting one that says I have to update my flash player to get this site to work right. I didn't bite. I too had to exit a few times to get the site to come up. Also had a few that Norton blocked. Only happens here. I wonder if that is why the traffic here is way down.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I had to install an ad blocker on all my devices I use to access this forum in order to make it usable. It was unusable for me with all the crap ads, such as the bogus adobe flash update that was continually interrupting.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
uBlock Origin is also keeping them away. Privacy Badger has also alerted me that there are tracking cookies embedded in the ads from securepubads.g.doubleclick.net (which it blocked).

·
Registered
9,865 Posts
Here's a novel concept, I'm on a Samsung Galaxy tablet using Chrome no ad blocking software, and I see as many popups as the guys who are using it: none.

What browser are you using?

You may want to run anti-malware software (Malware Bytes is a good, free program) and see if you have picked up an adware infection somewhere.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I had problems in the old format as well with popups making it nearly unusable some of the time. After the update I couldn't even open the page for several days because the same fake flash player update popup kept invading. I finally installed AdBlock as well and it's been fine since. If I pause the service at all, the ads take over again so it's definitely working.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts