Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why have so many online websites stoped carring athearn products? I've been to ruffly twenty websites and only found three or four that carry athearn products and out of thos only two to three of them have the loco i want and only one has a good reputation. Where have all the athearn gone, i know they stoped producing the blue box line (shame on them) but the locomotives they still make are very nicely detailed so why have retailers stopped stocking them? Locomotive in question is an Athearn SW 1000 or SW 1500 in CSX bright future and dark future colors.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Bman.
smokestack i don't think i follow you. What is it you are calling BS exactly?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
When I was racing RC there were two major distributers of parts. One's parent was Great Planes. I believe they bought the rights to Athearn. The issue that came up with RC parts was that if you did not sell X amount you needed to have an exclusive relation ship with them to get some items. I am going by memory on this so I could be wrong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for correcting me. I new it was one of the two.
They actually own Athearn. If a hobby shop wants a athearn engine they have to deal directly with horizon. Acording to my LHS resently they are getting harder to deal with. Like if he places an order with them, he can not cancel it. that means if the product is delayed 2 years , you can not cancel your order and they will ship it no mater if you still want it. The harder they get to deal with the harder you will have finding a hobby shop willing to deal with them.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
that's a shame as a lot of the athearn products are very good like their engines and freight car.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts