Model Train Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this question has been answered in one form or another but I couldnt find it.

I'm about to start building my layout and i would like to use 22 radius for the tightest turns, will big 6 axle locomotives and 85' freight cars handle this without derailing or uncoupling? I only have 4 axle loco's and 50' cars so i can't test it out, but i would like to purchace a bigger loco and a few bigger cars assuming they will work on 22 radius.

any advice?
thanks

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

They could work, the big issue being clearance. This is an 85' auto rack on a 20" radius curve. You can see what happens when another train passes on a second, 18" radius track...

Here is a 4-8-8-4 Big Boy on the same 20" curve. They can make it with some questionable results, both operationally and aesthetically...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use Code 83 atlas track, I use 18 and 22 in radius.

I have found that, for example, Walthers Part # 932-4859(TTX Auto trailer), Just loves to jump the track on me.

My modern loco stay on the track with no issues (Though I had to remove all my manual switchers and put undermounts in as the Locos would sometimes clip them coming out of turns.) I would suggest upgrading to 24 radius if you can, if you cannot, still buy them and use them for display until you can upgrade your track.

--Cid

1 - 5 of 5 Posts