Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my first standard gauge a short time ago and I love it. Runs great but the lights don’t work so off with the cab for a bit of inspection.

It’s an older restoration and one thing I notice are the accoutrements at the top (bell, stack, pantograph) may not be right. One bell looks too large and both are held in place with a pin.

What puzzled me was I was unable to determine the proper type and arrangement of these items. Every photo on the internet was different. (See attached. Mine is #1). The fact that it was restored leaves me to believe the current arrangement may not be correct. Note this is just a 402, not 402e

Does any know how they left the factory?

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's a Link to Olsen's service manual for the 402. One thing I notice at a part show, the standard gauge whistle is quite a bit larger that
Thanks for the reply.

Do you think that the accutrements were different on the e model?

First thing I noticed on the diagram was the type and number of these. Mine has total of 4 not including light and the diagram shows 3 total.

It doesn't look like any were added later but I can't be sure. It seems like every image for this model is different. :dunno:

·
Yard Master & Research
10,578 Posts
At first glance of all the models They have two whistles. You have one. If any engine has a pantograph then it has only one bell otherwise two without the pantograph. Your second bell looks better than a whistle so keep it for now.

You have two bells one whistle one pantograph.

The 1929 catalog has a 402E with two whistles a bell and pantograph. page 15
The 1923 catalog has a 402 with two whistles and a pantograph ( three not four) page 23
another picture only shows the pantograph and one whistle. page 24
These are drawings and changes may have occurred before production.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At first glance of all the models They have two whistles. You have one. If any engine has a pantograph then it has only one bell otherwise two without the pantograph. Your second bell looks better than a whistle so keep it for now.

You have two bells one whistle one pantograph.

The 1929 catalog has a 402E with two whistles a bell and pantograph. page 15
The 1923 catalog has a 402 with two whistles and a pantograph ( three not four) page 23
another picture only shows the pantograph and one whistle. page 24
These are drawings and changes may have occurred before production.
Thanks Looks like Lionel couldn't make up it's mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts