Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Williams steam and diesel loco's from that year had simplistic wiring schemes. Most had a bridge rectifier that converted AC transformer track voltage to DC to run it's DC can motors. They could be upgraded (by the user) with an electronic "E-unit" to provide forward and reverse. Perhaps the "Limited Edition" 256 came with a factory installed electronic e-unit. In either case wiring was very basic. It can't be complicated unless someone upgraded with non-Williams modern electronics as with my 1984 Williams Crown Edition F7 ABA units with a QS1/PS1 installation.

Take detailed pic.'s of the motors and any PCB in the chassis and post them here.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
We'll still be here :)

BYW: It's my understanding that only 500 of those loco.'s were ever built. I've only seen one on eBay in the past 3 years and it was a "dummy" - no motors, gears etc. And it seemed like it came from the mfg. that way.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We'll still be here :)

BYW: It's my understanding that only 500 of those loco.'s were ever built. I've only seen one on eBay in the past 3 years and it was a "dummy" - no motors, gears etc. And it seemed like it came from the mfg. that way.
From what I have found out , they made them booth ways. This one has the roller pick ups and also I asked the owner did it have twin motors. He said yes. We will see when it shows up.
Thanks John

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From what I have found out , they made them booth ways. This one has the roller pick ups and also I asked the owner did it have twin motors. He said yes. We will see when it shows up.
Thanks John
Still waiting,it has been 20 miles away for 3 days with no delivery date. Frustrated.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
First, contrary to most all Williams loco.'s it does not have DC can motors. Thus it does not need a rectifier/diode to run off AC. The motors replicate a Lionel AC motor (which is actually a "universal motor" that will run on AC or DC).

In a single motor Loco, the reverse unit (manual or E-unit) changes the order of the brush connections that are in series with the field windings. In the pic, below, the left diagram shows the bottom brush connected to the center roller, and the top brush connected to one side of the field winding (the other side of the field winding is grounded to the chassis/wheels and connects to the outside rail). In the right diagram, the brushes are reversed with the top brush connected to the center roller and the bottom brush connected to the field winding. That reverses the motor. That's what the manual switch does - changes the connections between the field winding and the brushes. With this type of reverse mechanism, each motor requires its own switch.

Does it run? Do you need to throw both reverse switches in tandem to have the loco reverse? If you only throw one reverse switch are the motors traveling in opposite directions - fighting each other?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mike,
Yes it runs very well. Both switches are connected by a flat bar that throws them at the same time with one lever. In the add they first said it was a dummy replica unit and shorted out on the track. Them I saw the double pickups and asked if it had 2 motors, they replied item has been tested and doesn't operate, just shorts out on the track. Then they relisted it without the dummy part and again I asked if it had two motors. They replied yes it does. So I bought it hoping to get it running. The only short I found was one headlight with the bulb broken and some loose wires on the reverse units, cleaned up the armatures and lubed it.

John

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike,
Yes it runs very well. Both switches are connected by a flat bar that throws them at the same time with one lever. In the add they first said it was a dummy replica unit and shorted out on the track. Them I saw the double pickups and asked if it had 2 motors, they replied item has been tested and doesn't operate, just shorts out on the track. Then they relisted it without the dummy part and again I asked if it had two motors. They replied yes it does. So I bought it hoping to get it running. The only short I found was one headlight with the bulb broken and some loose wires on the reverse units, cleaned up the armatures and lubed it.

John
Ran it today for about 20 minutes and no problems,seems to run better the longer you run it.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
That's great. I had a Marx loco that ran faster once it warmed up. I'm not sure of the reason behind that phenomena.

Now you need to get yourself a set of 710/712 prewar cars to go with it. Everything else will look tiny behind it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's great. I had a Marx loco that ran faster once it warmed up. I'm not sure of the reason behind that phenomena.

Now you need to get yourself a set of 710/712 prewar cars to go with it. Everything else will look tiny behind it.
710/712 prewar cars are hard to find and the crappy ones still bring big money. Missed a set that went for over $200 in poor condition.( don't mind restoring them) I did buy a new in the box set of MTH traditions 710/712 cars for what I thought was an okay price. They should be here anytime.

John

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
710/712 prewar cars are hard to find and the crappy ones still bring big money. Missed a set that went for over $200 in poor condition.( don't mind restoring them) I did buy a new in the box set of MTH traditions 710/712 cars for what I thought was an okay price. They should be here anytime.

John
I'm on my second tinplate restoration after a 248 and eight 529/520 passenger cars. This restoration is an early 610/612 three car set, a 259E & tender and some tinplate accessories. After thae a later 610/612 five car set.

Buying new is starting to look better and better :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm on my second tinplate restoration after a 248 and eight 529/520 passenger cars. This restoration is an early 610/612 three car set, a 259E & tender and some tinplate accessories. After thae a later 610/612 five car set.

Buying new is starting to look better and better :)
Got the cars, They look great. Only problem is the couple height is at least 3/8 inch difference.I just bent the one on the loco to make it work. Pictures tomorrow.

John

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Here's a nice link to "Train99" detailing Lionel tinplate passenger cars from "The Classic Period". If you scroll down to the bottom, there are links to the various models by type. And it gives great info for dating cars. For example, the type of "trucks" on 4-wheel cars tell their timeline.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts