Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kind of a strange situation. I purchased a Williams log dump car last year, and used it sparingly. Now that I've enlarged my layout, I expected to use it more - but now I have a problem.

The couplers on both ends have stopped working: they won't stay closed. This happened on both ends at the same time. They were working before, but both stopped working at the same time. Maybe it's my eyes, but I cannot see anything wrong with them.

Has anybody else experienced this problem (and hopefully solved it)?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I have a few cars with couplers that open. Happens more often when there are more cars behind the problem cars. On some cars, I took the lazy way to fix them and used a black cable tie to hold the coupler closed.

·
Admin
43,992 Posts
There are many reasons that couplers pop open, hard to offer a general statement or fix. Are you saying you can't get them to stay closed at all? If so, that should be fairly obvious if you look to see why the pin isn't engaging with the slot on the bottom of the coupler.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct - they do not stay closed at all. The ones on the log dump car are quite different from the ones on some of their other cars - probably because these have electric pick up. For this reason I cannot even tell where that pin might be - maybe my eyes are not acute enough. I thought someone else might have experienced this and found a way to repair.

I think I'll check the Bachmann forum and see if there is information there. Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Correct - they do not stay closed at all. The ones on the log dump car are quite different from the ones on some of their other cars - probably because these have electric pick up. For this reason I cannot even tell where that pin might be - maybe my eyes are not acute enough. I thought someone else might have experienced this and found a way to repair.

I think I'll check the Bachmann forum and see if there is information there. Thank you for your help.
When I reverse engineer surface mount modules, I take a macro picture with my $100 Canon "point-n-shoot" camera. Incredible resolution. On my PC the pic is full screen. Everything becomes easy to see.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't mean to imply the couplers were electrocouplers. The electric pickups are for the dump mechanism. I meant the couplers are not thumb tack, nor are they like the ones on the Williams gondola.

That's a good idea about shooting a high rez picture then zooming it on my screen; perhaps I'll see more of what I'm not seeing with the naked eye.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts