Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another junk find, I got these two rusty jems. Lionel #364 log loaders. Obviously pretty rough shape. Rust and lots of wear. But both were relatively complete and the price was fair. Got them into the shop stripped them down, found that with cleaning both motors worked. So I began work on one.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Theres many ways to deal with rust. Abrasives, chemicals (usually acid) and SCIENCE! (AKA electolytic rust removal)

Things you need for electrolysis:
Battery charger (like for deep cycle marine battery)
Tub/bucket/tank - watertight and nonconductive, big enough to hold part you want to clean
Washing soda
Water
Sacrificial chunk of steel - free of coatings and platings
Steel wire - free of coatings and platings

Set up:
Set part you want to clean in tank, connected to a piece of steel wire. Run this wire up out of tank. This will be your cathode (it will connect to negative terminal on battery charger).

Set your spare chunk of steel in the tank, connected to piece of steel wire. Run this wire up out of your tank. This will be your annode (this will get rusty as process cleans your part)

Make sure your part and the chunk of steel do not touch in the tank! This will short your battery charger.

Fill tank with water submerging both your part and the chunk of steel.

Add washing soda to water, you dont need much maybe a cup or two.

Connect negative terminal from battery charger to the part you want to clean. Connect positive terminal to chunk of steel. Then plug in your battery charger. If its working you will see some bubbles coming from your part, this is hydrogen gas.

Process may take a while, up to hours depending on size of part and extent of rust.

Safety:
Do not touch any of the conductive surfaces - water, wires etc while the rig is running. Always unplug battery charger first. Do not splash/spill water around the battery charger, keep it away from tank.

Trouble shooting:
Tank works faster with larger annode (chunk of steel) to collect the rust. The larger your part is the slower the process. Always completely strip apart the piece you want to clean before you begin electrolysis. The closer your part is to the annode (without touching) the more efficient the process. The cleaning will occur preferentially in the area of the part closest to the annode so you may need to do several repetitions while moving the annode in between. Scrub off loose debris with a steel brush between repetitions.

I recommend avoiding annodes and wire with any coatings or platings as this process is similar in many ways to processes used to plate dissimilar metals and don't want to run into any unexpected reactions.

In cleaning the log loader I used both electolysis and some mild sanding. The small plates cleaned very quickly in matter of 15-20 min. The main body took in total probably a couple hours.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Next up paint.

Etching primer - has an acidic base, should eat any fine surface rust left to prevent it becoming a problem.

Rustoleum hammer finish paint. Similar to original finish paint. I find it difficult to use, requires a heavier coat to establish the hammered look than I typically apply when using paints.

The final picture shows how it sits now. Final paint isn't perfect but looks pretty clean from a couple feet away. Waiting on delivery of a new belt and should be good to go. No new parts involved other than a new belt.

And yes, my workspace is a mess. My shop is a 5x12 apartment storage room so things get messy quick. Although some of this project was done at my folks (no big power saws in my storage room!)

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If anyone has a 364, great write up on basic repair/service here:

http://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=6566

I have another one of these rusty guys, complete except missing the big black plastic drive wheel, the triangular plastic at the top of the ramp and 2 of the little metal decorative stakes. If anyone wants to trade their really rough rusty operating accessory (maybe a duplicate of something you've got?) Ill pay to ship this one in exchange.

·
Hobo for Life
6,109 Posts
Half mad scientist, half modlerailroder. You can't argue with the results. The hammer finish paint is a almost perfect match, I almost like it better. Awesome job. I learned a new trick today. Thanks for posting this!

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,040 Posts
Nice job and thread. :thumbsup:

What are you going to do with 2 of them?
Do you have room for 2 on the layout?

Or do you just like the challenge?

Better keep the pets away from the water tub too. :D

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Nice description on the electrolysis bath. I had to Google "washing soda". I wonder how readily available that is?

Nice repaint on the loader ... hammered finish looks great.

TJ

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Big Ed, only redid one of them. Not sure what I'll do with the other, if someone has something else equally far gone, I'd trade.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
TJ. Arm and Hammer makes washing soda I think its by the laundry detergent in most stores. You can find it at walmart.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts